Checkpoint : 2

Sunlight found its way inside through a crack in the ceiling and startled Emma awake. Sunlight? But how? She ignored her body screeching in agony and raced up the stairs, slamming the broken basement door open. It wasn't sunlight that she saw, but instead the headlights of a vehicle that had been thrown and was facing in an awkward position.

"Shit, how am I supposed to get out? Dean, crowbar, now." The voices echoed outward and glass shattering could be heard not a minute later. A skinny girl with long black hair stepped out and stood up staring at the car with her hands on her hips. She was tall, incredibly tall. She had long skinny arms covered in bruises. She wore a white tank top and blue skinny jeans all torn and bloodied.

"Come on, seriously we need to find another ride. We don't have time either, you saw that thing that rammed into us!"

After that, someone else shuffled out of the car in a timid and frightened manor. He was shorter but lanky, he had bright pink hair and two black streaks of paint on either side of his face. He wore a mash-up of white, pink, and black clothes with a black studded belt.

"Okay, I'm sorry." his voice vibrated and his eyes widened in fear when he saw Emma standing staring at them with slowly raising fists.

"WHO'S THAT?" he screeched.

The girl whirled around and stared Emma back down. The two girls hadn't moved for what felt like centuries before Emma finally stepped forward and tried to get closer. Now that she could see them even better, she saw how tired and injured they really were. They were just lost people like her. The girl crossed her arms sassily.

"Who are you? Well? Spit it out!" the girl spat with a raised eyebrow and a serious attitude that made Emma want to cringe.

"I- I'm not sure she can." The other tugged at the girl's sleeve gently.

Emma nodded in agreement and trailed her fingers across her lips. They were sewn shut with thick black thread. The girl cringed and shuddered.

"Oh, well, do you know sign language?"

Emma nodded and raised her bandaged hands to tell them her name. "Emma." And the girl smiled.

"Hey, Emma. I'm Maddox. This is Dean."

Emma smiled back. "You two need a ride?" She ran to the other side of the torn home and opened the off-centered door hanging by one hinge. There was a motorcycle rammed in the bushes so she pulled it out and brought it inside. She noticed it earlier but payed no mind to it. Maddox clapped slowly in amusement.

"I think we're going to be good friends."

The time of day was unknown since there was no sun, no moon, and no clock that wasn't different from another just to make it harder for someone to tell time. One would say "noon" and another would say "5pm" and so on. You just had to roll with the punches. The sky gave no warning of weather, no animals around to give warn of storm, everything came when it did and there was no way to prepare for it, you just had to go with it.

The three of them, all crammed hazardly on the motorcycle, were headed further into what was left of a crumbling city. There were small explosions on whatever buildings were left, and surprisingly some were tremendously large. Once they entered, Emma, who had been driving, pulled them to a screeching halt that almost sent Maddox and Dean flying. Maddox had been behind Emma holding her waist tightly and Dean had been standing on an unseen part while holding on to Maddox's shoulders.

"Um... you're a crazy-ass driver, did I tell you that? Jesus, you need to slow down!" Maddox huffed and stepped off with Dean, who was trembling like crazy.