Part Three

The next morning was a strange one. There was stillness in the city, the wind was motionless, and the sun was slightly shining. Juliana woke up next to King Leo, and felt nothing but at peace. The moment she stirred in bed, he rose from inertia. "Good morning," she says when he first opens his eyes. He smiles.

"Good morning." He sits up in bed and stretches his limbs, forcing them to wake up with the rest of him. "It is apparent that beauty has made you its abode even in the morning time." Juliana's cheeks instantly heat like boiling water.

"Thank you. You are of no stranger to beauty, either," she replies.

"But you don't even have to try," he says.

"So flattering, you are. How do the noble women keep their hands off of you?" she banters.

"Well, maybe now that I have a wife it has made them back off a bit." Juliana laughs. The King rises from their bed and walks over the large window to take a gander out at his city. His smile fades a bit.

"Well, that's odd," King Leo says.

"What is it, dear?" Juliana asks him.

"The sky is a remarkable gray today," he answers her.

"It might come a storm, then," she says.

"Perhaps," he says simply as he strokes his chin. "The trees...they look like they are dying," he whispers quietly enough for her not to hear. He began to worry.

"See anything else interesting?" Queen Juliana asks her husband.

"Oh, no. Nothing," King Leo says fabricating a smile at her. She smiles back, taking his word for it.

"What does your schedule consist of today?"

"Just some business with a bordering city. Trade business," he tells her. "I'm going to get dressed." King Leo leaves the room back to the changing chambers so that he wouldn't feel guilty for lying to his wife. He was beginning to get jumpy, and he didn't want her to see it.

Juliana gets up and pulls on her silk robe, about to peek out of the window when she hears rapping at the door. She paces the floor to the door and reveals that it is Edith. She's holding a tray of food Juliana and the King. "Good morning, my lady," Edith greets her.

"Good morning, Edith. You didn't have to bring up the food. I could have come down to fetch it myself," Juliana says taking the tray from her.

"I'm still your maid, and that's what maids do, love. And besides, I wanted to check in on you," Edith says entering the bedroom.

"Thank you," Juliana says. She walks into the room and sets the tray of food down onto her nightstand. They hold a conversation; conversation about the royal wedding, about the wedding night, and the chances of it raining that day. Juliana drinks the tea that Edith brought and nibbles on an apple here and there. King Leo retreats back from the changing chambers in nicely tailored clothing fit enough for a King. Edith instantly stands to her feet and bows her head.

"Good morning, King Leo," she says, her body tensing up. King Leo looks at the maid and smiles.

"You don't have to be so formal, madam. I may be King, but we are still one of the same," he tells her. Edith's begins to feel embarrassed as she nods at him.

"Of course, sire. I've brought you and the Queen breakfast if you are hungry."

"I am actually very famished, thank you," King Leo says eying the tray of a bit of food left.

"Well, I should be on my way. I've lolled long enough. You know where to find me if you need anything, Juliana," she says heading for the door. Edith pulls the door open and leaves, passing Lady Aylett on her way out. Lady Aylett catches the door before it completely shuts, inviting herself inside of her superiors' room.