Zero

The alphabet starts with A and ends with Z. Whole numbers start with zero and end in infinity. Moving on begins with an ending and end in a beginning.

-

'She's missing.'

Natsu felt his heart beat like he had run a thousand miles. He sat up quickly in his desk, ignoring his bewildered professor who kept calling his attention and his classmates who were giving him a few questioning looks. Without wasting time, he bolted out of the classroom, passing by the lockers as he sprinted through the winding hallways. He got out of the main building and was about to exit the gates when the guard stopped him in his tracks.

"No - fucking - time!" Natsu growled, pushing the guard quite hard without meaning to. He pushed open the gates himself without a second thought.

Natsu didn't need to think about the directions; he knew the way to her house in the back of his mind.

Worry and adrenaline were still pulsing in his veins once he reached his destination. Immediately, he opened the door forcefully and saw her brother and sister frantically pacing around the room with phones in their hands.

His eyes scanned the wide living room once more to find the white-blond locks of the one he loved, to no avail. And not caring whether they were in the midst of an important phone call or not, he shouted, "Where the hell is she?"

Elfman put his phone down in annoyance and tapped a few times on the screen before he stalked to Natsu and glowered at him. "That's why we texted you, you piece of shit. We haven't seen her since morning and we thought she might be in school or something. We called her teachers and friends, but she was nowhere to be found."

"Then why don't you search for her yourselves instead of just standing here waiting for nothing?"

Natsu didn't notice Mirajane stand beside him, worry etched on her face like the rest of them, before she spoke up. "Don't you think we hadn't thought of that? But we needed to make sure she isn't just in school, or else we would've worried ourselves for nothing."

"So where should we start?" Elfman headed towards the door. "I already searched throughout the house."

Natsu thought of the only place where Lisanna might go. "In the park."

Mirajane nodded, gesturing for Natsu to follow her. "Come on, we can't lose any minute."

-

Natsu's heart felt like lead when he noticed Fiore's Central Park being unusually deserted. Although after all, he knew the students that always hung out here were still in school.

"Lisanna!" he called out, cupping his hands on his mouth. "Where are you?"

"Lisanna, tell us where you are... please." Natsu heard Mirajane whisper to herself, as if all the events that transpired throughout the morning drained out her energy.

Elfman shouted through his tears in subtle panic, "Lis, this is no time for hiding!"

The three of them went on like that for half an hour, searching every nook and cranny of the place. Natsu reached the park's far edge where no one really stayed. He noticed the hidden pond and remembered how Lisanna used to like skipping stones when they were young.

But glinting under the sun's light, a piece of metal caught Natsu's eye. It wasn't anything ordinary - it was Lisanna's favorite bracelet.

"G-guys!" he called their attention after much difficulty finding his voice.

He didn't need to speak further. Under the pond, almost covered by the leaves that fell to the water, was Lisanna - or her dead body, rather. Upon seeing it, he did what he do best: run.

-

sorry this took so long omg

dedicated to honeybloome - thanks so much again for the wonderful cover!

the first few chapters may suck, but we've barely scratched the surface. there's more than what meets the eye, and there's a lot to discover about the characters' lives and the truth behind the tragedies as we plunge deeper into the story.