Learning About it

"Who can tell me where we left off last week?"

I looked around my love and fate classroom. Yeah, you read that right. My school offers a love and fate option. Ever since Coby Allen came up with his magic invention about two years back, we now need to suffer through yet another class at school. Goodbye spare period.

"Students!" Miss Ocean said for the third time, "did nobody pay attention to Friday's class? I'm going over this for the last time..."

And there it was. Miss Ocean's memorized speech on Coby Allen's invention; the Soul Searcher. A pretty amazing name for a pretty amazing necklace. Even though I hate having an extra class, I have to admit that the invention is awesome.

"The Soul Searcher is a magical necklace invented and created two years ago by our very own Coby Allen. The necklace has the ability to become very hot and very cold. It shall turn hot when you are close to your soulmate and cold when far away. You will soon begin your Journey of Fate. Your necklaces will activate exactly three days after you have seen or heard of your soulmate for the first time. You will know it has activated itself when it tingles the skin it's in contact with. And students, it is very important to remember that only students of this school have the necklace presently; meaning unless your soulmate attends this school, which is very unlikely, your soulmate will not be searching for you and might be in an ongoing relationship..."

Miss Ocean's speech then went on about how to be mature on our journey until the bell rang announcing the end of the day.

"Violet, wait up!"

I turned around to see Camila Keefe, my best friend, running towards me. Camila was absolutely gorgeous. With her dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, and a model's body, boys were all over her. She was sixteen, just like me. Look wise though, we were complete opposites. With my dark brown hair and brown eyes, boys usually disregarded me.

My name is Violet Odell. My parents left my brother Callister and I when I was fourteen. Callister was eighteen at the time so he quit college, got a job, and supported himself and I. We still live in the same house together and I can honestly say this is the happiest I've been in my whole life. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents, but let's just say they weren't the nicest people out there. Now that I'm sixteen and also have a job, Callister takes night classes at the community college to eventually get a job he really loves. The college is where he found his soulmate. He got the Soul Searcher during his senior year and just last month found the girl of his dreams. Hailey Campbell is her name. A really sweet girl.

"What are you doing tonight?" she asked.

"Callister's making me go to the hockey game at the arena tonight. Are you coming with us?"

"Of course! I'll be over at six."