Chapter 8

•Emmiey•

It's been a week since Jack's visit with Tommy, and I don't know why, but it seems as though Tommy's really getting used to him. They're always talking over the phone and skyping. Um, what ever happened to just me and him?

Ugh, I sound jealous. Trust me. I'm not. I don't have time to be jealous. I mean, between work and Tommy and my pathetic social life, I don't have time to worry about anything else.

***

"That was a great match," I said to Tommy as we walked out of the tennis club where he had played a junior tennis match and had won it that Friday afternoon.

"Thanks, mom," He grinned.

"So, what do you say? Panda Express for dinner?" I asked.

"Yup," He nodded as we got into the car.

After going to Panda express and ordering dinner, we headed home.

"Mom, can I ask you something?" Tommy asked rather reluctantly as we ate dinner.

"Yeah, sure. Anything," I nodded.

"Do you...do you think I can see dad sometime this weekend?" He asked, not looking at me directly.

For some reason, this caught me off guard. "Oh, um, o-okay. If that's what you want."

"Thanks," He grinned, looking genuinely happy.

After dinner, Tommy wanted to watch some TV while I headed upstairs to phone Zoëy.

"Wait, he wants to see Jack again?"

"Yeah," I sighed as I told her about what Tommy had asked during dinner.

"Are you gonna let him?"

"Well yeah, obviously. It's not like I can keep him away from his father," I muttered.

"Why do you sound not so happy about that?"

"I don't even know," I said, sighing again. "It's just weird, I guess. I mean, just two weeks ago Tommy was fine without his dad and now..."

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. I mean, after all, he is his dad."

"Yeah, you're right," I said. After that, the call was disconnected.

Clicking on the imessage app, I sent Jack a message.

Me: Hi. Tommy wants to know if he can see you again sometime this weekend. Would that be okay?

In less than a minute he replied.

JackGilinsky: Yeah, sure. That sounds great. How about tomorrow?

Me: Yeah, that's fine. You can come pick him up at 12ish.

JackGilinsky: Great. See you then.

After that, I decided not to reply. I don't know why, but my gut is telling me not to be so lenient about this. I just have a bad feeling about this...

***

"Tommy, are you sure you packed your inhaler and epi pen?" I asked my son for the fifth time as he finished packing his backpack.

"Yes, mom. I'm sure," He groaned.

"Don't whine at me, mister. If you eat peanuts or suddenly get a tight chest, you're gonna thank me for reminding you to bring them," I warned him.

"Yeah, yeah," He grinned cheekily at me.

Ten minutes later, the doorbell went.

"Hi," Tommy grinned at Jack when I had opened the door.