Prologue

• Dedicated to Noah Bauch

Hostage

By LexiB15

Prologue:

There was a storm brewing.

Lightning danced across the sky and the rain came pelting down on the street. The gutters were full and already the sidewalks had started a cascading waterfall into the sewers below. Mud puddles accumulated in the lower regions and potholes: a nuisance to any woman in white pantyhose.

The sky was shielded by dark cumulonimbus clouds and the fog: thick as pea soup. The rainfall was heavy and the streets were empty.

This was perfect.

The weather was holding up perfectly- at least to the shady man in the trench coat. Especially for what was going to occur within the next few moments.

The man leaned against the wall in the dark alley and waited patiently for his Chosen One. She was beautiful- perfect in every way and form. She would satisfy his thirst for the meantime.

Across the street sat an old, brick building. It was a dance studio: ballet specifically... But it wasn't the building that interested him... It was who was inside.

Lightning streaked across the sky and thunder rumbled violently; shaking the very ground beneath his feet.

The rain began to fall harder and swifter. It stung his eyes and hurt his exposed face.

They were tears, he thought. Tears shed by God for His child... The one who wouldn't wake up the next morning...

The man shifted uncomfortably, his very sick thirst convicting him. "Father, forgive me for I have sinned..." he crossed the symbol of the crucifix over his chest and turned his attention back to the building.

The Chosen One would be leaving the building at any moment now.

He looked over his shoulder and down at the body of the Taxi driver he had flagged down a few street back. He had felt no remorse after slitting his throat and dumping the body into the alleyway.

The man opened the Taxi's door and stepped in, closing the door behind him. The interior of the car reeked of cigars and whiskey; but the Taxi was perfect. He'd drive up and offer her a ride home... But she would never make it.

She's be dead before midnight.

If he played his cards right.

A bolt of lightning illuminated the sky, startling him and sending him from his train of thought.

He sighed to himself. "Really now, Father?" he chuckled. "Now you chose to get involved in my life? Only now when I start to attack your perfect children?"

Across the street the lights went off and a woman in her early twenties stepped out. Her hair was twisted up into a bun; a pink ribbon tied into a bow held it in place. She wore a sky-blue rain coat over her leotard and carried a duffel bag over her shoulder.

She was beautiful.

From her blonde hair and Swedish features right down to her virgin soul. There was no doubt that his Father loved her more than he could ever love him.

He watched her lock the door to the studio and run to her car in the parking lot across the street. He smirked to himself... He had cut her tires only minutes before. He waited for a moment, watching as the woman unlocked her door and climbed into her car, closing the door behind her.

Seconds later the headlights glared out at him from across the street as she started her car. But she didn't go anywhere. He watched the girl as she hurried out of her car made her discovery. She appeared to be in great distress as she whipped out her phone and tried to get a signal.

Now to put his plan into action... He slowly pulled the Taxi out of hiding and pulled out onto the street. He smiled wickedly, knowing that this time his Father could not intervene.

This One was his.

Not God's- and certainly not the Christ' daughter.

This was his.

The woman slammed her door shut, locking her car and talked into her cellular device. She hung up and the man stepped on the accelerator, slowly drifting by her; his windshield wipers going a hundred miles an hour. She spotted him immediately and flagged him down. She ran to the Taxi with all haste before throwing open the passanger-side door. "Oh thank God!" she gasped, tossing her bag into the seat next to her and closing the door. "I had some car trouble and my roommate couldn't come get me. Thank goodness that you were driving by!"

He looked over his shoulder; trying to catch his breath.

She was even more stunning up close.

Her lips were tempting and her eyes- they seemed to be a thousand different shades of blue.

"I had a feeling that someone would need a ride," he answered, adjusting his rear-view mirror. "Perhaps my divine lord orchestrates these meetings- or perhaps they are by chance."

"The Lord works in mysterious ways!" she smiled, fingering a small cross around her neck.

"Are you religious?" he asked, gesturing to the charm on her necklace, even though he already knew her answer.

"Yes, yes I am. Why?"

"Just wondering..." he smirked to himself, "No wonder He loves you..." he murmured.

She was one of God's favorites... And now the man would send her to the Lord's courts.

The man smiled to himself, "Father, forgive me for I willsin."