He's Back

"I knew this was dangerous, why did he have to go into Avenging? I hope they are okay." I mumble this to myself as I watch the full time news coverage of the aftermath of the Avengers battle in New York. I pull my knees up to my chest, then hear a knock at the door. I look at the door and scrunch my eyebrows together. I get up, then walk to the door, opening it slowly. There I see my best friend, Steve Rogers. He is still in his Captain America attire, shield and all, dirt on him, shield looking worn. "St-Steve." He pulls me into a deep hug and kisses my forehead. "Thank god you are okay. What about the others? Stark? Barton? Romanoff? Thor? Banner?" I hear him chuckle lightly and tighten his grip around me lightly. "They are all okay. We sent Loki and Thor back. It's okay. I'm okay." I nod into his chest and sigh lightly, having my arms around him and my hands in fists, resting on his back, under the shield. "I thought – I didn't know if I would ever get to see you again." I feel tears roll down my cheeks and he sighs lightly. "I know, but I am here. Everything is okay. We are okay, let's get inside though." I return my arms to my side and walk in, him following behind me, walking into our shared apartment. I turn the television off and look at the clock on the wall.

"What would you like for dinner? I can cook for us? Anything you want. I can run to the store if I need to. Anything." He chuckles and looks at me like I am something wonderful. That's what I love about Steve, I always know he loves me, I know he is always going to be there. He's like my big brother. He is a best friend, un-related brother, protector, and more. His face lights up and he runs to the counter in our kitchen. "Garlic parmesan chicken bombs and noodles?" I smile lightly and nod my head. "Sure, how about you shower and I will run down the street to the market." I see him nod, grabbing clothes out of his room. "Sure, hurry back okay?" I grab my purse and smile. "Sure thing!" I walk down the steps and out the door of the apartment building, then go to the market, grabbing the things, paying and walking out.

I walk back home and put the food down on the counter and look around. I hear the shower turn off and walk into the bathroom, sighing lightly as I see the scratches and wounds on him. "I know Kara, they aren't good." I nod and grab the peroxide and a cloth. I put the peroxide on the cloth and clean off a few of the wounds. He clenches onto the counter and we hear a crack on the last. "Steve, be careful, the counter isn't indestructible." He nods and bites his lower lip as I run a wet rag over the wounds, then putting some antibiotic ointment on it. I grab some gauze pads and medical tape, and cover the few deep wounds with the gauze. I sigh lightly, resting my hand on his chest as I finish. "It's so hard not being with you sometimes." He nods and pulls me up, resting my feet on his for a moment, then resting his forehead against mine. "I know. Trust me, I know." He rests his nose on mine and I smell his minty breath just inches from my face. "You go through a battle, and still manage to have minty breath. Such a Captain America thing to happen." He chuckles and removes his face from mine and I wash up, going to make the dinner as he watches TV.

I cook and we eat, then I walk to the bathroom,showering, then putting on a white tank top, with a pair of black sweats. I pull down the top covers of the bed and sit in the sheets. I bite my lower lip and turn off the light. Just then I see the door open and close. Steve walks in, in his sweats with no shirt and lays by me, wrapping his arm around me. "I know we aren't together, but I need you." I sigh and smile lightly. "I know.You know you are welcome in here." He kisses the top of my head and sighs. "I love you." I rest my head on his chest and he pulls me in, close to him. "I know, I love you too. I'm sorry I can't be with you." I hear him sigh and he just tightens his grip around me. "I know you are. I understand why we are just what we are and nothing more. I promise you, I am happy with this." I wrap my arm over his stomach after setting an alarm. "By the way, I have an interview with Tony Stark in the morning. I am applying for his personal assistant." I hear his breath catch and feel his look. "Y-You what?" I look up at him as he turns on the bedside lamp. "I have an interview. It pays more than the bakery."He stares at me for a moment and shakes his head, turning the lamp off. "Oh. Okay. Good luck." He pulls me in tight and kisses the top of my head. "Goodnight Kara." I smile lightly and bite my lip. "Night Steve." We fall asleep slowly and I drift off into the best sleep I have had in weeks.