Chapter 3

Chapter 3

AS MY EYES SCANNED across the shelf, they soon fell upon a book that stood out among the rest. Its cover was the colour of blood, unlike the other ones. I examined it, and felt no relief when I match up the numbers on the cover and the paper.

    I rushed out of the room as if I was  being chased by a kennel of hounds, and stopped when I was nowhere near the dusty place. Now, what I found weird about the book (as if the whole thing wasn’t weird enough already) was that it didn’t have a title, an author, or even a bar code. How did it managed to get in here with that call number if it didn’t have a bar code?

    I should ask a librarian, but that meant they would have to take away the book. Who knew what could be in it? I could also take it away. It wasn’t like anybody was gonna realize that it was gone. And it didn’t count as stealing if it didn’t belong to the library, right?

    I hid it inside my bag, and was mad at myself for letting this book have this kind of effect on me. Lucky for me, I made it out without sounding the alarms. I made my way to my car in the rain, and blamed this stupid book for making my bag ten times heavier.

    When I got home, I shut myself in my room, so I couldn’t hear the endless argument of my parents. Fighting almost became their habit, and shutting myself up became mine. I buried myself in the old book. The story started on the very first page of the book.

    The first few pages just described how this main character in the book was borned and raise. Her name was never mentioned, so she was just written as ‘The Girl’. Not only hers, no names at all, was mentioned in it so far. I skipped to the middle

    To her, life was all about fighting. Her boyfriend didn’t love her as much as before… She could feel their memories fading away from both of them. She was at the edge.

    I pictured myself as the girl, and began to connect with her. We were similar in a lot of ways… I felt her emotions. You could say that she is a second copy of me. I skipped a good thirty pages.

    Her parents were doing it again. They argued all day and night. The poor girl was laying in bed, with teardrops flowing down her cheeks. She had been shutting herself in the room without food or water for nearly 5 hours. It hurt her to look, or even just listen to them fighting.

    She wanted to hide in the library, to bury herself in books. Even school felt better than here. Her best friend was an amazing singer, she has been winning awards for singing since forever. Counting them, was an impossible task. The girl was not as popular as her friend at school, but she didn’t care. She was her only friend, while the beautiful singer had loads of friend, but she didn’t care, because she knew that she was the best one...

    This sounded exactly like me.

    Ping. I jumped out of my skin. 1 new message from L.

    L: Mom decides it’s good to let me out for an hour before the concert. Let’s hang out :3

    I was never happier to be interrupted, thanks to Leah.

    Me: Sure! Meet you at the restaurant on M. Ave?

    L: Can’t wait!

    I quickly grabbed my bag and headed to our front door. There was no need to bother my parents. They wouldn’t care if I disappear for a week. Midway I stopped, not knowing why I took the book with me.

-------------------------------------------------

What do you think of this chapter? Please comment :) One more chapter today :p?