Chapter 4

Chapter 4  

ALL I COULD think about on my way to the restaurant was the mysterious girl that I had a connection with. Or maybe it was because that girl was me, which was an idea I found myself laughing at. This whole thing was ridiculous, and I couldn’t help but felt like a puppet that was being played with. Why would anyone send me this note in the first place? And yet it was too real to be a nightmare.

    I got there with the book in my bag. Leah was already waiting for me at the counter. The book was going to be a distraction, but the last thing Leah needed at this hour was me with my mind in another world.

    She waved at me, and I smiled back. As I sat with her and tried to focus on her words, my mind went to the girl’s life, again and again.

   “---And I can’t believe he is gonna come later!” I only caught the end of that sentence she said. There was a long pause.

   “Your hair is messy.”

   How was this possible? A book of my life?

   “An U.F.O. burned our school to the ground last night, you know.”

   All this…did it mean that I could know my future from the book?

   “There's some thing you should know. I'm think I'm pregnant.”

   “What?” I suddenly realized what she said.

   “That finally got your attention. You weren’t not listening, S. I might as well be talking to a wall.” After a moment, she added, “What’s going on? You know you can always tell me, right?”

    But I couldn’t. I felt bad, not being able to tell her this. “Hm, It’s nothing. I have a lot of tests coming up…” I mumbled.

   She narrowed her eyes, obviously didn’t believe me. But that was the thing about Leah. She would never insist on asking anything you didn’t want to share.

   “Whatev—oh!” I watched as she spilled the juice onto her white pants. She swore under her breaths.

   “I need to clean this now. You’re gonna be fine here alone for a few seconds?” She stood up and said.

   “Yes, mom. I’ll be fine.” I replied, smiling at her, “Be quick.”

   Leah rushed toward the restroom. As she went away, I decided to continue with the story of the girl. My finger ran through the pages, and stopped at the last few pages.

   When her friend spilled the cup of juice onto her own clothes, all She did was widening her eyes and nodding. Her friend left her in her seat. She did not care today. And she certainly did not realize that she is in a room full of strangers.

   I covered my mouth as I read those lines. It was exactly what was happening now. I continued.    

    Later, She saw a few more guys coming in to the restaurant. More strangers. Hm,  they looked familiar to her, maybe they weren’t strangers after all. They caught her staring at them, and, they seemed to recognize the girl.

   As the guys walked toward her with a deviant grin, she let out a gasp.

   Now she remembered.

   Remembered what? I flipped the page eagerly. But, that was it. The book ended there. As much as I hated to admit, I was disappointed. I stood up before I realized what I was doing. This was finally over, and I should be glad. Was I expecting, like, a sequel or something? I grinned at my spot like an idiot.

   Then, all of my relief turned to fear. How could this girl and I be exactly the same? When multiple explanation exist, the answer was usually the easiest one. So, I would just have to believe that I was the main character?

    If a bunch of guys were after me, I should better get out of here. It made sense if you think of this book as my life, and it would end… here. I was gonna die tonight. At this place. Right now.

    I paid, grabbed my bag and ran out. I didn’t know where I was heading, but my heart told me to get into my car. Even the parking lot didn’t look safe at this time of the day. It was 6:35, and the sky was already dark. Leah was still in there. What if those ‘killers’ find her?

    I started texting, but decided that it would be better to call her. She picked up immediately.

    “Hello?” 

    A silver car pulled in at the other side of the parking lot. A few guys came out, but I couldn’t see their faces in the dark. I kept watching.

    “S? Is this you?” Leah sounded worry.

   Their faces became clear as they walk toward the street light. Suddenly, this all made sense. They were the guy who grabbed me last night. They surely saw our faces, and remembered both of us. If I was supppose to die, they would be the ones to kill me. 

    “Serena Weinstine, what the hell is going on? I only left for five minutes and look what you’re---”

    “Quiet please, Leah.” I interupted, “Are you still in the restroom?”

    “Wait, wait. Tell me what’s happening. You are freaking me out!”

    I ignored her. “Listen, just trust me on this one. Stay in the restroom. Don’t come out. Do you hear me? Don’t come out, no matter what happens!"

    Those tall figures opened the restaurant door and walked in. All I did was sitting safely in my car, with my best friend out there in danger.

    "Too late, S. I already came out. Could you pl---"She paused for a moment, and I could tell what stopped her. "Oh, no. I think I'm in trouble, Serena! Help."