Chapter 1

New York... One of the biggest cities in the world. Business capital of the world. Where everyone is filled with speed. Everyone is always in a hurry. In a hurry to leave home, to get to work and to be a step or two ahead of life. That's where I live. The city of New York.

New York has taught me to be independent, taught me to face life, but couldn't teach me to love. Sometimes when I miss my dad, I go to Central Park and think about him. It always made me feel he was closer.

I'm Naina Catherine Campbell, and this is my story.

*******

"I understand Mr. Land, but try and understand my problem. I must have the loan extension please"

My mother, Jennifer, after dad passed away, the entire responsibility of the family fell on her. But she never allowed us to ever feel the burden of her sorrows.

"Thank you" she said

"I'm home!" I yelled as I came in through the front door.

"Where were you?" She asked, blinking away her tears

"Central park" I replied her, wiping my tears as well. My back was facing her so she didn't know what I was doing.

"Central Park? Why?"

"To meet someone"

"Who?"

"To meet my boyfriend" I joked, while pinching her cheeks and she slapped my arm playfully. Then I noticed her eyes

"Where you crying?"

"No.. You were crying"

"No, mum" then I started helping her set the table for breakfast. My mother and I, we lied to each other everyday. I tried staying strong for her and she did the same for us. None of us wanted to show weakness.

"Oh.. Where's grandma?"

"She's probably in her room"

"Mum she really need to stop searching for a husband for me. I'm not ready. You need to tell her that. She's getting on my nerves"

"Why don't you to tell her that yourself?"

"Fine!" Then I marched up to her room to talk to her but she was on the phone. After they said their byes, she ended it and turned to face me.

"You're back dear. Good."

"Who was that?" I asked, nodding towards the phone

"Oh that? That was the marriage bureau"

Marriage bureau?

"Grandma, I've told you, I don't need you to find a man for me. I'm not even interested in marrying anyone!"

"Oh come on. Don't stay that. If you don't marry, how will you have children?"

"I can have my children. There's no need to marry"

"Ohh okay..." and then it hit her "WHAT???" by that time, I've already stormed out of her room.

In the next room was my 10 year old brother who was watching basketball, Shiv, a handicap. He couldn't play basketball like the other boys but he could be quite irritating like the other boys.

"YES!!!! SLAM DUNK!!!" he yelled

"Shiv! Put off the TV. Whenever I enter here its always basketball" I told him as I entered the room he was in.

"Just because I can't play, doesn't mean I can't see" he said in a cute voice, smirking.

"Don't get cute with me. All right? Now hurry down for breakfast"

"Gia, help your brother"

"Naina, did you see my new dolls?"

"Gia!"

"This is Mama, this is you, this is Shiv, that's me, and this is-" she said pointing at each doll and as she was about pointing at grandma doll, she was interrupted when grandma came into the room. Talk about the devil.

"Ohh good! You're awake" she said to Shiv. "Looking so good like Hari Putter" she added, pinching his cheek

"Harry potter, grandma. Harry Potter."

"Yeah yeah whatever"

"Good morning grandma" Gia said to her happily

"Ya ya" she waved her off. Gia's face fell in sadness

Grandmas love for Shiv was only matched by her hatred for Gia. She was just six. Gia was adopted before father died and grandma blames her for it. That's why grandma hated her so much.

Gia always kept her grandma doll away from her perfect family. We all went down for breakfast and another fight ensued downstairs between mum and grandma.

"Its so cold. Is the heater on?" She asked mum

"You're always on aren't you?" She replied her

"What?"

"Nothing"

There was this bet that Shiv and I started. If a day passed and they didn't fight, he'll give me 10 dollars and if they did, I'll give him 10 dollars.

"What's for breakfast?" Grandma asked again

"Fruit and cereal" Shiv replied this time

"What?"

"Cereal.." Shiv repeated

"Has it started? The serial "my heart beats for Lola"?

Gia stiffled a laugh

"Not the TV serial... The cereal we eat" he said, pointing at boxes of cereal on the table.

"So what's new? We eat that everyday. Poor daughter in law. She doesn't know how to cook" then that's where a stare down started between mum and grandma.

"Mum.. Mum.. Stop it you guys.. STOP IT!!!" I yelled. Standing up from the table, I reached into my bag and pulled out 10 dollars and gave it to Shiv. "Here's your ten dollars. You won. As usual. Are you happy now? And both of you.. Just forget it" then I stormed out of the house.

My morning started like every other day. Mum and grandmas fight, followed by my angry walkout. and then listening to my stupid neighbor, Sweetie's stupid chatter. I met her at a coffee shop and tapped her.

"Oh hi! One minute." Then she turned back to order "okay make that two glazed doughnuts, two blackberry muffins and two frappechinos. And what will you have?" She turned back to ask me. She was also my best friend. She has two problems... The weight she never loses and the fact that she never feels bad about it.

"Naina!" She tapped me, pulling me back to reality

"Oh sorry.. Uhmm one double espresso please"

We got our food to go and we headed off...

**********
Please tell me what you think about the beginning of this book. Hit that little gold button if you're too lazy to type. But it would be awesome if you still comment. Your messages would determine if I should continue or nah. Thanks lovelies. Muah!