Chapter One- Dreams

*End of Freshman Year*

~Riley~ 

We were standing, face to face, at the bank of the lake. Our faces were inches apart and our eyes  never left each others. His eyes were as blue as clear ocean waves. We were silent, but it was the good kind of silent. This moment was like a picture; it was worth a thousand words. Finally he spoke up.

"Riley.. I think I..." he said. You could tell that he had a hard time forming his words. But I knew what he was going to say. I smile sweetly at him.

"Yes, what is it Clark?" I whisper as I inch closer to him. He looks down at the ground and then back up, smiling at me as he bit his lip. I look at his lips. Oh how I wanted to kiss him so badly! As if he read my mind, he tilted his head and leaned in. I closed my eyes and leaned.

When I thought our lips would meet he stopped just as our lips brushed. "Riley.." Clark whispered in a low voice. 

"Riley."

"Riley."

"Riley."

"Riley wake up!" 

And just like that we were gone. I lifted my head up from the desk, looked up, and saw a stern faced Mr. Evers. I heard the snickers of the students around me. I ran my hand across my eyes and face to hide my tiredness and burning cheeks. "Sorry Mr.Evers, it won't happen again."

He gave me his death glare one more time before turning around and continuing the lesson. I looked around. People were still giggling. How embaressing. Oh gosh. I just realized Clark was in the room. I looked across the room to where he was sitting. He just sat and listened to the lesson with utter most concerntration. He's ignoring me, as always. But today, I was kinda glad he did. 

I sighed and propped my chin on my hand. I've had a major crush on Clark for a long time but he would never notice me. I wished I liked someone else, for I knew we would never go anywhere. He's in several honors classes, he plays basketball, and he's even somewhat popular. Clark's also funny and mature, which are two contradicting qualities in highschool. I've talked to Clark multiple times... in my dreams. That was the sad truth. I've never actually talked to him. This is why my relationship with him is hopeless. Moments like these, I'm thankful for my dreams.

After I realized I was gawking at him... again... I snapped back to reality and pushed up my thick rimmed glasses. The bell rang signaling the end of class. I got up from my seat but tripped on one of the legs of the desk. I fell foward, books flying and my glasses as well. I pushed myself up and started collecting my books. 

"Watch it klutz." Mean girl Kenzie retorted. She stepped all over my binders leaving high heeled footprints all over then. I scoffed and continued gathering. She's not worth your time Riley. I tried to convince myself, if only I wasn't such an easy target for her. I AM the nerd and she IS the mean girl.

I gathered all my books and placed them in a pile in my arms. Now where are my glasses? I squinted to try to regain some vision and scanned the floor for them. Just then I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around. It was Clark.

"Here." he said. He stretched out his hand and gave me a blurry black blob. I was confused at first but as he got closer I realized they were my glasses. I reached for them. 

"Thanks." I replied in the tiniest whisper. 

"No problem..." he replied. I thought he was going to leave but he opened his mouth again. "Riley.. I..." I looked up shocked. Part of the reason was because he knew my name. The other part was that  he used the same phrase as he did in my dream.

"Yeah?" I said. 

"Hey look! Klutsy Riley has a boyfriend!" Kenzie shouted. Clark blushed and stood up, leaving me without an answer. 

"Wait. Clark! What were you going to say!" I asked loudly. 

Kenzie smirked. "Yeah Clarky, what were you going to say." 

Clark turned around and looked at the both of us. Then to me. "I was just going to say.. that Riley I think you should pay more attention in class." 

I was dissapointed. This was not the answer I was hoping for. Kenzie laughed.

"I know right! And you wouldn't think that she would do that since she's such a nerd. Right Clark?" Clark just stood there. When I realized he wouldn't stick up for me I got all my stuff and stormed past them. I forced myself not to cry.

But when I got home, I let it all out.

"Riley? Are you okay honey?" my mom asked through my locked door.

"Yeah Mom." I lied in between tears, trying not to sound so depressed. I heard my mother sigh through the door which told me that she didn't believe one word. I then heard nothing, which meant she left. When I thought she had given up on me I saw something slide underneath the door. It was a brochure. 

"Huntington Surf Camp?" I read. My mom has slipped me a brochure from a surf camp in Huntington, California, a place I have always wanted to go. I always wanted to surf ever since I was in the 5th grade, but my parents never let me. It was one of my dreams.

"I know you always wanted to learn how to surf and your dad and I figured... why not?" I can't believe my mother was actually letting me do this. "What do you say honey? Yes or no?"

What do I say? I looked at the waves on the brochure and stroked it with my finger tips.

This was definitely a yes.