Chapter Four- Deception

~Riley~

"So he just invited you?" Nicole asked.

"Yeah. It was weird. It's like he's paying more attention to me." I pulled a floral dress to my chest. "How bout this one?" I asked Nicole. She shook her head.

"Too ditsy." I threw the dress on my bed. She was right. Why was it so difficult to pick what to wear for a party? I went back to my closet to look for possible options. "Do you think he's only noticing you now because of your new look?"

I froze. What if he did only like me because of my change. Does he even like me for who I am? I pulled out another piece of clothing to change the subject. "How bout this?" I said holding up a flowy chiffon dress. She shook her head again.

"No. House parties are usually casual. Try picking something that would make you look good but is simple. Something that screams 'Hey I look hot without giving a crap on what I wear' " I rolled my eyes.

"Sounds kinda slutty to me." I added.

It was her turn to roll her eyes. "No, a slutty look looks like they tried too hard. There's a difference."

I laughed and threw a pillow at her face. "Whatever!"

We settled on a pair of dIstressed highwaisted shorts and a flowy cropped white tank topped off with a oversized creme knit sweater. Nicole straightened my hair and I did my makeup. It was natural again but I added some blush and lipgloss. When I was fully dressed I opened the bathroom door.

"Wow." Nicole said. "You look smoking!" I rolled my eyes and laughed. 

"So.. when are you going to get ready?" I told her. Her eyes bugged out of her head.

"What?" I smiled mischeviously at her and tried my best to act innocent.

"Oh. I forgot to tell you. Your kind of invited.." She looked shocked. Then she jumped up and down on my bed.

"Yes, yes, YES! Thank you, thank you!" She hugged me and I hugged her back.

We got at the party at 8:00 at night. Nicole and I got there first and waited for Landon who arrived a few minutes later. Music filled the area and you could see a bonfire in the backyard. There was also a big projection screen that showed the music video of  the song that was playing.

"Isn't that a fire hazard?" Landon said. Nicole and I laughed. We entered the open house and saw hordes of people dancing and talking. I saw Clark talking to Aaron. When he saw me back I waved. He smiled at me and waved back. He then made his way to us.

"Welcome to my humble abode!" He yelled over the loud music. He acknowledged Landon and Nicole as well. They then scurried away from me, leaving me and Clark by ourselves.

"Some party you got here." I yelled back. He moved closer to me.

"What!?" He shouted. I repeated myself. "What!? I can't hear you!" he grabbed my hand. "Come on lets go to some place more quieter!" He led me to the outside were people where huddling around the bonfire. We then arrived at a quiet corner of his backyard which had a hamock. He sat on it and patted on the space next to him, signaling me to sit. I sat.

"I said 'Some party you got here'." I repeated.

"I know I just wanted to be alone with you." He said. I punched him on the arm. "Ow! What was that for?"

"You're good you know that? Is that some sort of trick you use to get the girls." I teased. He gave me a look.

"C'mon Riley, you know me. I'm no womanizer." I laughed. It was true. Clark barely flirted. "Oo! I almost forgot!" He reached behind a rock on the ground and pulled out a ukulele. "I promised I would teach you."