Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Melissandra gave Mica a death look and walked over to where Justin was standing with his friends. When she was out of ear shot, Kat grabbed the front of Mica's shirt and glared at him. "What was that for?" she hissed.

"Payback."

"That's shitty payback. You two are so darn stubborn. You guys both like each other and you need each other's friendship now more than ever. This is a crucial time and you can't go fighting over a stupid kiss!"

Mica looked at Kat with his blue eyes wide. She let go of his shirt and he looked down at the concrete. "She's with that jerk now," he said gesturing to Justin.

"She did start it," Damien interjected.

"A stupid jock vs the evil ex girlfriend. Mica went too low," Kat argued.

"Hey, hey!" Mica argued, raising his hands over his head. "What is this? Roast Mica day?"

"Sorry," Kat apologized. "We need to find a way to get Justin to sit with Lainie."

Damien and Mica both burst out laughing. Justin and Lainie had some history to say the least. Last year Lainie was dating Mica but she was also fooling around with a bunch of boys on the soccer and swim teams. Justin, a member of neither of those teams, asked Lainie out in private so she started dating him for about a week while she was still dating Mica. Then she dumped Mica for Justin but Justin was also fooling around with a bunch of girls behind her back. One of those girls just happened to be her sister, Laela. Laela and Lainie found out and went to Justin to make him choose. He chose Laela and the two sisters have not talked since. Justin and Lainie can barely stand to sit in the same bus, let alone the same seat.

Kat looked up at the sky and took a deep breath. There was enough drama in store for the post-seniors that day and they did not need anything to be messed up between Melissandra and Mica. The two had been best friends since they were little and they needed to stick together now more than ever. "Mel! Get over here!" Katarina shouted urgently. Her friend gave her a weird look and said a few words to Justin before joining the girl in her spot by the buses.

"What?" Melissandra asked with a slight tone of annoyance in her voice.

"What is going on? Justin Mitchell? Really?"

Melissandra shrugged. "He's hot."

"He's a total jerk," Katarina argued.

"He's not that bad."

"Last week you said you'd rather strangle yourself than go out with him," Katarina pointed out.

"I'll get some rope then," Mica said from behind them.

"Shut it, Castaneda!" Melissandra scolded.

"You two need to stop acting like a bunch of children," Katarina yelled before another fight could break out between two of her best friends. She knew they were confused and angry at each other, but she also knew that both of them could be very stubborn.

She frowned. The last time the two of them got into a fight was when they were Juniors and they had bet each other that neither of them could stay up for a long time without sleep. It was during the summer and they ended up staying up for about four days before they both passed out in Katatrina's front yard during an especially heated argument over the whole bet and who was going to win. Katarina then had to clean up the mess and get their parents to get them off her lawn before the government came and questioned as to why there were two sleeping teenagers on her lawn. She had a feeling she was going to have to clean up their mess this time as well; this, of course, was much more serious than a silly bet. Mica and Melissandra's friendship was in jeopardy this time.