Now is Not The End(of this Dance)

He appeared later that evening in the Martinique.

"I know this isn't the Stork Club, but I think I owe you a dance." 

Peggy jumped. She had just finished dealing with Spider Raymond, the nitramene grenade in her handbag made her feel more on edge than usual. But then she saw Steve in a suit and tie, in front of the crowd of dancing couples, some of them spinning straight through him. Her shoulders loosened up a bit.

"I distinctly remember telling you not to be late," Peggy laid her hands on her hips but smiled warmly. Steve seemed to glide closer towards her.

"Well, I couldn't help it. At least I'm here now. Although, my current state isn't exactly ideal for dancing."

"No matter. Now you can live out some fantasy of taking a pretty blonde out to the Martinique."

"I'd rather not. I've had a fantasy though. But it was about dancing with Peggy Carter." Colour rose to Peggy's cheeks. Steve smiled wistfully back, but the corner of his lips softened and his brows furrowed, "Are you sure you're doing this? Being Howard's double agent?"

"Yes. Don't try to talk me out of this Steve. It's my choice. I didn't talk you out of invading that HYDRA base, and because of that you proved to the world what you were capable of-"

"And look to where that has got me." He spread his arms wide, exaggerating his transparency, swishing his hand through people's faces. Peggy crossed her arms and pouted. Steve sighed, "Don't worry; I wasn't going to. Especially after you beat that guy senseless with a stapler. Just watch your back, Peggy. Agent Jackass just arrived." Peggy looked at the entrance and saw Thompson, Yauch and Krzeminski strut in like a cowboy line up.

"Thanks," she said. As he faded away, Steve felt something that he thought he couldn't. There was a bittersweet tug in his heart when he saw Peggy dance for her life.