Chapter 23

An explosion occurred inside Macy's heart.  The blood drained from her face.  Her eyes flew to Twain.  His face was a cold unreadable mask. His powerful body leashed muscular strength.  Macy clutched the visitor's chair in Twain's office, preventing herself from blacking out.  At some stage, Twain had released her hand.

Could this be true?  Of course it could be true.  It happened with her not once but twice.  Why wouldn't it happen with Heather?  Twain tended to get carried away... so did his lovers obviously.  The need for contraception did not enter the brain.

'I love you, Twain,' Heather's whispered words pulsated in Macy's ears.

Macy shut her eyes. 
Could Twain have already uttered those words to Heather? 
He had never uttered it to her, and to be fair, neither had Macy to him.  Yet Heather was prepared to fight for the man she loved. 

How could Macy stop her?  Heather had reason just as she did to have a relationship with Twain, Heather more so, because she was prepared to bare all and put her feelings on the line.

Clearly Macy was not that committed, she was not prepared to take those risks, not when she was unsure about Twain.  He wanted them to be married, but only to provide parental stability to their child.  Yes she was attractive to him, there was the lust, but he did not love her and right now Twain was not refuting Heather's claim, nor was he forthcoming to Heather about their relationship.  Macy could not stand to look at Twain any longer. Her voice was low, but steady, banking her primitive feelings of fury.    

'Excuse me___ you two have a lot to talk about,' Macy walked to the door.

'Macy don't leave ___!'

She was seething inwardly at his insufferable arrogance.   She drew breath sharply, blinking furiously to dispel the moisture in her eyes.  She heard Twain's instruction, but continued walking.  It was over.  He had not denied or challenged Heather.  He had not refuted her when she'd admitted her feelings.  Obviously he loved Heather and was saving Macy the embarrassment. 

She will do the honourable thing.  She would not deny him access to his children.  She would not stand in his way.  He could settle down with the woman he truly loved.  Excruciating pain wrenched Macy's heart as she quietly shut Twain's door and stood there. 

You held me in your arms ___ like I meant something to you, when all the time you were in love with another.

'So you thought you were the only woman in his bed, did you?'  Carla laughed.

Macy had forgotten where she was standing.  Her head moved slowly, to meet Carla's gloating face.  Macy's dangerous thoughts when she looked at Carla, bordered on the illegal.

'Thought you'd trap the good doctor and become Mrs Crawford, did you?' She threw her head back and laughed even louder. 
'How pathetic to use your fatherless child in that despicable manner!  For your information, Dr. Skye, Dr. Crawford loves Heather you know.  He's always calling her, sending her flowers.  They are meant to be togeth___.'

Macy did not wait to hear Carla's brutal words as she cruelly twisted her knife in Macy's heart.  She rushed to the lift and escaped to her own surgery, blanking Twain and Heather out of her mind and forced herself to focus on the patients she needed to attend to.

 Macy underestimated the extent of Carla's shrewdness. 
How could she be so hurtful?  What have I ever done to encounter her hateful wrath?  

Macy managed to get through her day without breaking down.  Twain, she noted had not even bothered to call her or  come to her and apologize for deceiving her.  How dare he try to force her into marriage when clearly, his heart belonged to another?  Why was life so cruel?  Why had she been dealt such bad cards?  At five, Macy left the hospital, glad to get away from Twain, but her home was not as far as she would like the distance between them to be.