Ch. 7

“Hey.”

Niall had been sitting outside on a stone bench with his guitar in his hands.  He looked up, not even surprised that it was Demi. “Hey…”

Demi sat next to Niall, “Um…Look, I don’t think I can do this.”

Niall stopped whatever he was playing and turned to face her, “You know, all day I was being pestered about our date by my friends, and…I think the same.” Niall sighed, “I really do like you. I know this sounds weird, but I’ve been obsessed with you for the longest time…I just…”

Demi put a hand on his shoulder, “It’s fine, I get it. Mind if I play something for you?” She gestured for the guitar.

Niall handed her the guitar. “I can’t believe this isn’t going to happen,” he commented, “You know…us.”

“I know it’s been short lived, but I’ll sing this to you before the dinner bell rings,” Demi couldn’t help but laugh a little.

Niall sat there as she played the beginning of whatever she had written.  So much for trying, he thought. We’ll never go on a date.

“Don’t wanna break your heart; wanna give your heart a break. I know you’re scared it’s wrong, like you might make a mistake. There’s just one life to live, and there’s no time to wait, to wait, so let me give your heart a break. Give your heart a break. Let me give your heart a break, your heart a break. Oh yeah, yeah.” When Demi finished, she handed the guitar back to Niall, and stood up with a sad smile, “I’m sorry, Niall.” She sounded close to tears, “This was all a huge mistake.”

When she turned to leave the outside area, Niall stood up, leaving the guitar on the bench and grabbed her by the arm, “Wait! We shouldn’t be this scared or have this much doubt. Just…go on a date with me like you promised!”

Demi looked at him with watery, red eyes, “I haven’t been on a date in forever. I just can’t,” She pulled away just when the dinner bell rang. She disappeared, turning a corner and passing the nearest building.

“Demi!” Niall called out hopelessly. Everyone came pouring out of the dorm building, walking to the dining hall. Niall picked up his guitar and decided to follow everyone else.

----

Harry and Louis met up with Liam and Zayn just outside the dining hall.

“You two seem happier than ever!” Liam noted as they waited around for Niall.

Harry and Louis smiled at each other.

“That’s the thing…We have something really important to tell you guys,” Louis patted Harry’s shoulder.

Zayn stood next to Liam, hands in his pockets again. I kept thinking how much I love to hear his voice. Ridiculous! He thought some more. Calm down, Zayn.

“There he is!” Louis held his arms out as Niall walked towards them, guitar in one hand.

“What’s wrong, president?” Harry tilted his head, having seen Niall’s dark expression.

“Nothing. I just wanna eat,” Niall brushed passed them and walked inside the dining hall.

The other four boys followed Niall, unable to say anything that could get whatever was bothering him out from his mouth.

The boys got their dinner and sat at their usual table.

“So…what’s the big news, you two?” Liam said, twirling his pasta around his fork. Today’s dinner was Italian themed.

Louis let out a sigh, glancing at Niall, who barely touched his food, despite saying he wanted to eat. Lou looked back at Liam, holding a piece of bread in his hand, “Well…Promise not to tell anyone?”