1. Jackie Cane

Jess: I'm really worried for you. I gave you space like you asked for. I know it's hard but please Nora, I'm begging you. Let me help you.

Jess sent me another text, That made the 30th text I received in the last two hours. I grabbed the my phone ;

Me: That's all I need... You just don't understand ok?

Jess: Did you forget I was with you when we came back? Nora, they were basically family to me. My parents are hurting , friends and family are. You are not the ONLY one! Why can't you grasp that?

Me : Your parents aren't dead now are they?

Jess: No, but if that happened to be the case. I'd like a leaning shoulder to cry on, especially from my best friend but I'm starting to think I don't have one. Harsh isn't? Hearing your best friend mistreat you. What are friends for?

Me: Really?

Jess: I'm here for you but I'm not going to just sit here and not serve any purpose. Until you need me, Have all the space you need.

I can't say that didn't hurt but I can't say I didn't ask for that. Jess was the only thing I had left that meant just as much. I just needed time to think that's all. My phone buzzed but it wasn't Jess, it was just a number ;

          Nora, Hi this is Jackie. You and I need to meet soon.... I'm sure your confused. I'll explain later if your ok meeting. Your choice but I think you might want to hear what I have to stay. There's a bar about 4 blocks away, 6:30 , Ask for Jackie. I know your mother, My heart aches for you. She was a great woman.

Jackie ? Who was Jackie? How in the world did she get my number ?

I sent a text to Jess,

Me: Hey, Something came up. Some women texted me, She wants to meet up at a bar 4 blocks down... And I don't want to go alone

Less than a minute she replied ,

Jess: Space ? Remember ?

Me: Ok , I'm sorry. Forgive me ? If not I totally understand, I'll just go alone.

Jess: Woah there, I'm heading your way. We need to talk anyways. But who is this woman?

Me: Good question. She sent me a text saying she has to talk to me about the accident. She knew my mother.

I sat the cell phone on the coffee table and went to brush my teeth once more. Who ever Jackie was, had me on edge. What did she know? I slipped on my toms and grabbed my jacket.

" Nora, Open up " Jess knocked on the beaten up door. I'm surprised the door hadn't broken. This apartment was the only thing I could afford. It was nasty but it got me through the day. I don't think I stand in the position of takin things for granted.

I opened the door to Jess, " Hey , Sorry I was trying to freshen " I flicked the light off behind me. I refuse to let Jess in. The apartment was in bad condition, I was to embarrassed.

" I think you need a new door " Jess studied to frame.

" Yea, Tell me something I don't know " I walked to her car.