Part 6

Noah's Dad stayed true to his word.

He put Narahs Dad to work the very next day. She barely saw her father in the following weeks from the torturous hours Nathaniel gave him. He counseled her father, sparred with him. The uncle's taught him how to release his anger in a healthy way. They made her father face his inner demons and didn't cut him any slack even when her father would violently lash out at them, they continuously knocked him down until he was worn out. He lived at Noah's for a month. Narah and her Mother would go over everyday where her Dad at first would glare at his wife, then would plead for forgiveness to let him come home which her mum would nearly cave in but Noah's Dad and Uncle's shook their heads denying his request saying he wasn't ready.

It was an unconventional way but Narah saw her Dad was beginning to change. He didn't touch a drop of alcohol since that night and Narah found him to be a soft spoken man when he was sober. During one of Nathaniel's lessons he was physically and mentally trying to break her Dad to release the hurt inside. He taunted him with each blow.

Nathaniel- "Get up and defend yourself *punch*.... Get up *punch*.. This is what you've taught your daughter by hitting her mother. *punch to the ribs*...that it's okay for a man to put his hand on her and to accept it because it's what you taught her. *another punch* come on.. Picture me as Noah and you imagine yourself to be your Daughter. *punch* getting beaten. Feeling helpless. Betrayed that the man who vowed to love and protect her is the one putting her through hell. *punch* never asking you or your wife for help because staying silent and enduring it is the right thing to do because it's Noah's right to beat her..."

"NO!"

He spear tackled Nathaniel to the ground, slamming his fist in the ground inches away from Nathaniel's face. His shoulders shook from emotion.

"Help...me."

Nathaniel put his hand on his shoulder.

"I intend to."

It was heart wrenching to see her Father look so defeated but at the same time, it gave Narah hope their parents were going to be ok.

Noah still held a grudge towards her Dad. He kept his distance from Narah at home but at school he was overprotective. Everyone noticed the change in him. People started going out of their way to greet Narah. Some girls would invite her to hang out after school but she was still too shy, she'd look to Niva for help who was quick to make up an excuse that they made plans already.

Narah started wearing her hair back. Noah's sisters encouraged her not to hide her face. She had Noah to protect her now. The girls complimented how pretty she was with her fringe pinned back. She smiled more at school which caught a lot of the boys attention. They never realized how attractive Narah was and were even heard to say Noah must have known all along.

During lunch break, Narah was talking to Niva and one of her friends when Narah threw her head back in laughter. A few walking passed smiled. From the basketball courts, Noah stood watching her. She looked so happy. He knew he was hurting her by keeping his distance at home but he couldn't forgive himself for not protecting her in time from her father's wrath. He found himself moving towards her. Her eyes were bright from laughing when he neared her. Her smile turned to worry when she noticed Noah walking up to her. He had his hands in his pockets. His attention focused on her.

Narah- "Noah? You ok?"

Noah reached her side, lifted her up to face level, and gave her a passionate kiss that made her knees go weak. Not caring that the whole school watched in awe. Narah wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back. He loved her.