Chapter One

"Insecurities"

Lucy's P.O.V.

When I woke up this morning I realized I had run out of milk, so I went shopping. It was a nice, sunny day that made me smile. Maybe it wasn't the sun that made me smile, but the fact was that I was in an excellent mood!

"Lu-chan!" exclaimed a light voice hidden behind a huge pile of books. The small figure curved under the weight of the enormous tomes it carried. Levy! 

"Levy-chan!" I exclaimed smiling. She couldn't actually see me because of the library she was carrying; no, I wasn't exagerrating! "What are all those for?" I asked.

"Well, you know... you never have enough books in your library until you have them all!" she answered trying to balance the pile. She left the books on the pavement and turned to me. "You on the other hand... you haven't set foot into the guild for more than three days. What happened? Are you sick or something? Do you have a problem? Maybe I can help you."

"Uhm no... it's- it's just that I managed to get Aquarius back and I was so pumped up I couldn't make myself leave home and go out for a job." I explained swirling round and round like a whirlwind, "Wait... didn't Natsu tell you anything, guys?" Why didn't he? Natsu...

Levy seemed confused. "Now that you mention it... Natsu didn't come over either. It was too quiet back at the guild without him. Even Lisanna tried to contact him, but she couldn't find him." Levy took a shallow breath. Was she scared of something? No, that couldn't be the case.

"Even Lisanna, huh?" I repeated mechanically. Of course he wasn't at the guild, since he was bugging me all day and night long all these days! He didn't leave me alone, not even for a couple of minutes. Well, at least I should be thankful I was able to take a bath... ALONE! I was curious though... Why didn't he tell Lisanna? I thought they were close to each other.

"Uhm, Levy-chan, I have to go home... I promise I'll be back to the guild in no time! See ya!" I smiled at her and started walking towards my house.

"Oye! Be careful, young lady!" the fishermen called out for me. I waved a hand towards them. Plue lost his balance and fell on my foot... again!

Natsu... How many years have passed since we first met? It is incredible how much we've both changed during such a short time. If anybody told me back then that I would follow him, that he would be my savior so many times in a row, I would laugh.

Well, they say that first impressions aren't always accurate... in his case though, it wasn't even close! Back then, I thought he was just another dumpass, immature kid who couldn't be polite and kind even if he tried to. I couldn't imagine how much of a life savior he was for everyone in the guild; somehow, it's like he was their hope...

Even when things go just so wrong and all the odds are against us, we all believe in him with every bit of our hearts. That day changed my life, Natsu changed my life as soon as he broke that spell on me.

I wonder why he always keeps being around me, no matter what I say to him. Yeah, I can admit that sometimes I'm too harsh... If it wasn't for him, I... What would I do, what would I be without him? We both grew up too soon; maybe that was what brought us close. Or it could be the resemblance I have to Lisanna, as everyone at the guild says. What if I'm just a burden and he doesn't want to leave me because he thinks that I'm useless on my own? What if I'm not fit for this and he's just being polite? Natsu... polite?! No way! Maybe something else...