Chapter 1

Sean

It was a beautiful autumn morning. I woke up to the sound of the alarm on my phone going off. I was curled up in a green cat bed in my living room next to a fireplace. I usually slept in the cat bed, preferring it rather than my bed.

I got up and stretched, my jaws gaping in a huge yawn. I arched by back and stretched the sleep out of my limbs. Then, I took the form on my human self, turned off the alarm on my phone, and left to enter the bathroom.

I looked at myself in the reflection. I had some stubbles of brown hair on my chin, and the hair on my head was bright green. I dyed it one day when I had the sudden urge to do so. Now it was a green mess. But I liked the color.

I brushed my fangs a little before going into the kitchen. Since today was Tuesday, I didn't have to work at the café. I was a waiter at a local café on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I had my days off on the weekends, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. It was a flexible schedule, and it paid me okay.

As I took a pack of frozen toaster strudels, I heard my phone ring. I picked it up and swiped the screen before putting it up to my ear. "Yo."

"Hey, Jack!" the guy on the other line said. It was my buddy, Felix. Felix was able to turn into a fox, which was cool. We met up when we were freed from the underground labs, and became friends almost instantly, along with another guy named Ken, who could turn into a grizzly bear. I smiled. "Hi!"

"What's up?" Felix asked. "Just making some breakfast," I replied. "What's about you? What's happening?" "Just drinking a soda," Felix replied. Of course, it sounded like Felix to drink a soda for breakfast. He always said that soda had sugar and sugar gave him energy, so it was a good breakfast food.

Felix has a girlfriend who he lives with name Marzia, who was also a shapeshifter like the rest of us. She could turn into a rabbit. "Cool," I replied as I plugged in my toaster. "Do you wanna hang out with me and Ken later?" asked Felix. "Sure," I replied. "What's Marzia up to?" "She's having some friends over," Felix replied. A chill went up my spine. Having friends who were normal people kind of scared me. What if they found out that we were shapeshifters? Would they turn us in to the government? I was surprised that Felix let Marzia have human friends, but at the same time I wasn't. Felix was pretty cool and laid back.

"I see," I muttered, popping the strudel into the toaster. I got a bowl from the cabinet and filled it up with cat food. "Well, anyway, I was just wondering if you would hang out with Ken and I," Felix said. "You can meet us at the Dusk Diner later. Maybe around one." "Alrighty then," I replied, glancing at the oven clock. It was ten. "See ya."

"See ya," Felix said before hanging up. I set my phone down and took the strudel out of the toaster. Alright, I thought. I'll meet Ken and Felix at the Dusk Diner at one. For now, I can eat and relax. I have three hours anyway.