Chapter Six

“Now what would you boys like?”

The waitress approached Shannon, Jared and Tomo with a smile. Shannon and Tomo returned this and so did Jared yet his was shyer. It had been a couple of days since the incident and since then Jared has really bonded with his brother. He started to ask Shannon how he was like, at first Shannon was a bit uneasy yet after a while he started to tell Jared about their childhood, and Jared would listen in silence. Also Jared would do anything Shannon told him, like this morning when they went to get lunch out he asked Jared to wear sunglasses expecting a tantrum yet Jared got a pair without saying a word. Now the three of them sat in the LA sun outside a cafe enjoying the atmosphere, well almost all of them.

“We would like three salads and three bottles of water please” Shannon said to the waitress as she wrote down their orders and collected the menus off the table.

“Is that all?” she asked politely.

“Yes, thank you!” Tomo replied with a big smile.

The waitress nodded and left, Shannon and Tomo watched her go yet Jared’s eyes were darting from one member of the public to the other, he was still uneasy.

“You all right Jared?”

Jared shook slightly in surprise at the sound of Tomo’s voice; he glanced at his friend yet he did not answer instead he smiled shyly. So Tomo smiled back.

Tomo then started to have a conversation with Shannon, they chatted and laughed, this went on for a while in till Shannon was interrupted by his younger brother tapping his shoulder.

“What’s up Jared?”

“I need to go toilet...”

“Oh ok, go on then but remember come straight back”

Shannon returned to his conversation with Tomo as Jared got up to the loo, Shannon talked for a bit in till he noticed Jared was still standing with them.

“Go on then” he said to his younger brother, but Jared didn’t move instead he rubbed the sleeve of his leather jacket and spoke in a whisper.

“Can you come with me...please?”

At first Shannon was silent but then a small smile appeared on his face, “Sure”

Shannon got up and walked with his younger brother into the cafe. As they left, Tomo took a deep sigh relaxed back in his seat, the past couple of days had been almost like Jared’s accident had never happened and he was really enjoying it, it couldn’t get any worse.

 Soon after the Leto brothers had returned the waitress emerged with their orders. They said they thanks you’s but instead of talking Jared just smiled and then they dug in. They eat in silence as they watched the many varieties of people walk past as well as listening to the many conversations.  They stayed and ate their lunch for at last five minutes in till they had finished up, paid and left but Jared did finish his water so he took the bottle with him after Shannon had ensured him twice that it was fine. They walked with the public almost merging in yet not quite as the three of them wore leather jackets, jeans and sunglasses. They started to make their way back to the bus but a nasty surprise met them down a large alleyway.

“Oh look at that, it’s 30 seconds to mars”

A chill went down Shannon’s spine as the voice sounded terrible familiar and him and Tomo turned round to see the person he had only talked to days earlier on the phone, a man from their record company.

“You”

“Please, the names James Pearson but just call me James” the man known as James smirked at Shannon, he held his hand out from Shannon to shake it yet soon enough lowered it as Shannon made no effort to respond.