Chapter 39: The Goodbye Kiss

What?! I updated?🤗

Just a little Christmas throwback at the top!! ^^^

Merry Christmas!!! Enjoy!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Recap...

I sat up gasping for air. My gaze rapidly maneuvered around my room, finding everything the same as I had left it.

I let out a relieved sigh. "It was only just a dream," I mumbled to myself. The thought of it being just a dream had me rethinking everything over.

Everything plus Liam.

I smiled. 'I knew what I had to do.'

But then, just as quick as my grin appeared, it slipped away from my lips.

The sight of the blinking red numbers had me up and out of the house in a blink of an eye.

'6:15 p.m.'

* * * * *

Ava's P.O.V.

I sprinted out of the house as fast as my legs could take me. My heart was pounding rapidly against my chest almost to a painful point --as if it wanted to jump out of my bones and skin, and onto the wooden steps of my houses' porch.

'This couldn't be it. This couldn't be it,' I chanted in my head as I closed the distance between my house and Liam's. 'Maybe he was still there. Maybe he...'

But who was I kidding? Why would he wait for me --the girl who told him to not even try and make things work between us? If any guy in his place was thinking straight, he'd know better than to waste his time on a girl who didn't want to take a chance.

I bounded up his house's front porch steps to his front door. Without wasting a minute, I rang the doorbell. The chime of the bell was loud enough to be heard from outside. It rung throughout the empty house causing my heart to drop to the bottom of my gut when a couple of minutes passed by without anyone answering the door.

'He wasn't here. I'm too late.'

The expression I had last seen on his face flashed through my mind, filling my wholesome-self with guilt. It was too late to apologize. It was too late to take back what I said. That was when the thought hit me like a truck.

'I will never be able to take back what I said.'

I hung my head low, looking down at my worn out black-and-white converse shoes.

'Liam is going to hate me for the rest of his life.'

No longer having the hope I once had, my shoulders slumped into a lazy and uncaring stance. I turned around and began walking back to my house without glancing back.

Still keeping my head low, I didn't notice the lean figure sitting on my house's porch steps as I approached. Not even caring to glance up, I sighed and exhaustedly closed my eyes.

"I thought you'd be here."

My head snapped up to the deep familiar voice that I have grew so accustomed to over these past months. Something inside me snapped at the heart wrenching sight of him.

"What are you..." My voice faded when I watched him get up from where he sat and began making his way over to me. I wanted to run over to him, jump into his arms, and never let go. But there was also a part of me that wanted to tackle him to the ground and beat him to a pulp.