Chapter 3: Cedric

The Serpent and the Maiden Fair Chapter 3

*Special shoutout to my friend Sasha! Thanks for the comments and suggestions. This chapter is dedicated for you! :)

Enjoy!

Cedric looked at the clear blue waters of the lake again before letting out a sigh. It will be long before he can see the peaceful view of that part of the forest again. He sat on a nearby rock and closed his eyes; he tried to remember how he found that special part of the woods. Although it was not really a good memory, it was still important for him because what happened that day changed his life. That was the day he saved Avery.

Her parents were really grateful that he saved her and offered him sanctuary at their castle. At first he was afraid to take the offer yet when Avery told her parents that he was a Naga and the couple never hinted any disgust, he gladly accepted it. It was the happiest day of his life. Agatha and Sebastian von Heinrich were the most understanding people he ever met. They took him as their warden and gave him a surname. Their own surname, he was soon legitimized by the Queen as a member of house Heinrich.

He had lived with them for three years now and during those three years, he grew closer to Avery. It was like his world revolved around her. She gave him the inspiration to live and to fight. She was the most precious person in the world to him. He was in love with her.

However his feelings were unrequited and their love story is doomed for tragedy as she was already promised to another. Unfortunately for him, his love is betrothed to the Prince, his best friend. Avery was also the reason why they met. The Prince was always visiting West Nubar for Avery. Although Avery was still young still it was a custom in Meridian that as soon as the girl reaches her fifteenth year, she is too marry whoever is engaged to her. In this case, the Prince.

It crushed his heart to learn that she could never be his but then what was her future with him? He was no one in that land. He was just an orphan who was taken by her family and raised him as their own. That is the reason why he chose to go to the capital and train in the military. That way he can just forget her. Or maybe not. He knows he can't do it. He gasped as he felt a tear fell from his eye, he immediately wiped it away. Why is he crying? He went to this lake to keep himself from being emotional and not cry. He was here to savour his last day in West Nubar. To be happy, yet he was crying there like an idiot.

"You're here." He winced as he heard her voice. She was here and she found him when he does not want to be found. Yet she was here and she found him again.

"You shouldn't have come." He told her. Even if he can't see it, he knew that she was smiling. Her footsteps sounded louder as she came close to him. His eyes widen as he felt her arms wrapped around him from his back.

"I will miss you Ceddie." She said while calling him by his nickname. He sighed, he turned to face her. She was looking down. He rested his hand on her chin and slowly lifted her head. Her cheeks were red and her eyes were drenched with tears.

"Why are you crying?" He asked as he wiped her tears away. Avery hugged him again.

"You're leaving me." Avery said as she buried her head on his chest. His heart pumped rapidly as he inhaled her scent. She smelled like lilies, pure and innocent. She was making it hard for him to leave but then he must. It was the only way he can stop himself from further falling for her. He bent down and put his hands on her shoulder.

"I will come back. I promise." He lied; he knew that he won't be coming back. As soon as he will enter the military, he will be assigned in the capital and he can never see her again.