A Second Chance

“Ma’am! Ma’am!” The voice was determined to get Soria’s attention, more so than the pressure she felt on her cheeks.

The second slap came more forceful, drawing the ebony darkness away as Soria squinted into the bright light aimed directly at her corneas.

“She’s awake, heavy body trauma though, get her in that bus and get her out of here.”

The barking orders seem to come from the source of the light. “Is this the end of the bus ride?” Soria mumbled as every nerve in her body seemed to ignite. She could feel her body being jostled about, and then landing with a click inside a bright room.

The face of the chuckle slowly came into focus. “No Hun, the bus is what we call the ambulance. You took a nasty hit from that bus back there, you’re lucky; you seem to have gotten away with just some broken bones and concussion.”

“I’m alive then?” She held her breath in fear.

“Seems like it, though it was touch and go there for a minute. Consider yourself lucky.”

Despite the throbbing pain now making its way from her head to the rest of her body, Soria could feel a smile trailing its way across her face. She closed her eyes against the bright white light and gripped the paramedics hand lightly. “I think I’ll consider myself special.”