Chapter 1

“Mistress, get up! Mistress, get up! Mistress-“my alarm bott was rambling before I shot it with my cig pistol that I kept hidden under my pillow. I rolled over and closed my eyes again. I knew the dream wasn’t going to continue, but that didn’t mean I was done sleeping.

            I had just fallen asleep again, when I was awakened once more. This time it was from my housemate, Emery, tossing me out of my bed, “Emmaline,” he sighed, “that was the third bott this week.”

            I sat up and rubbed my eyes and stretched, “At first I was trying to hint that I’ve got no use for those retched things.”

            “And the other times?” Emery asked, raising an eyebrow.

            “Just for fun,” I smiled, looking up at him. He was not a bad looking guy. He was tall and slim, with shoulder length, sandy brown hair that he had tied in a neat knot, as was customary for council members. He had really sharp features that made him look dangerous, but when he smiled, he just looked scary, which I, personally, liked about him.

            “You’re a real piece of work Ems,” my housemate rolled his eyes and threw a pillow at me, “Come on, it’s time for work.”

            Grudgingly, I got up and made it to my dresser; “It would be a lot easier if I actually had a job that I like,” I made a face and reached for my uniform.

            “What job would you prefer? Moving target?”

            I sighed, “How about a combat instructor?”

            “Thorough background checks Ems,” My friend was putting on his cuff links, “they would get past the forgery of your identity faster than it took to create it.”

            I hated when he was right, “I just don’t like being undercover as some stuck up councilman’s property and a bubbly waitress at Eula’s.”

            “You could be an innocent school teacher,” he suggested with a smile.

            I looked down at my uniform on my bed, “They wouldn’t let me anywhere near a campus within city limits. You know that.”

            My housemate laughed at that and walked out of my room, “You aren’t my property by the way.”

            “If only you could prove it,” I muttered as I did my daily activities to ready myself for another day of wanting to kill people and wishing for the old days to be back. I checked myself in the mirror and noticed, not for the first time, how long my light blond hair had gotten in the past four turns. My eyes were unusually golden for this early in the morning. Glaring at my reflection, I remembered Helene, a particularly bubbly coworker of mine, telling me that I had a friendly face when I smiled, but I looked like a ‘pained child’ when I frowned. I made a face, according to her, I didn’t smile as often as I should. I smiled at the mirror, and quickly shook my head in dismissal. Why I even tried that was beyond me. I quickly turned and finished getting ready for the day ahead of me. I grabbed some energy shots and slowly headed downstairs to the kitchen where I met up with Emery again.

            “Be home by 7 tonight,” He was looking at an invite looking thing.

            “I’m on until 9 tonight,” I replied with a smile, “so I cannot entertain your wishes, whatever they may be.”

            Emery laughed at that, “I called in for you, you’re getting off at 6.”

            “Why?” I inquired, thinking back to him saying I wasn’t his property. Here he was, proving himself wrong.