Missing Husband

The sun spread its golden rays of crimson and gold

The sun spread its golden rays of crimson and gold. The tall coconut palm trees danced gracefully to the rhythm of the sea breeze. The sandy beach, lapped by the lapis lazuli blue sea, was a sight for one's eyes. We sat on the edge of the water, holding hands while the waves ran towards us and everything felt right. It felt just right. My life journey wouldn't be completed if it weren't for him.

I still remember the day he proposed, asking me to marry him. It was here, in this magical place, I'd like to call. We were running in the water as he tried to catch me and when he did, we stumbled. My eyes lit up only to see his face right in front of me. His sapphire eyes were mesmerizing.

"Will you marry me?" He suddenly asked.

He was my best friend, and I love him, I do. Not this kind of love. But there's something in his eyes right now made me wanted to say 'I do.' I always thought that relationship was a waste of time. After that, we had a few discussions, sitting side by side. He told me that he always had a crush on me, and I laughed so hard. I'd never had a boyfriend before, and now someone wanted to marry me? That's absurd. After a year, we got married in this white veil occasion, in this place.

I smiled every time I think about it. My best friend my first kiss, my first boyfriend and now my husband. It's a funny life yet, magical. Things have been going on wonderfully up until our fifth anniversary. He was a soldier, and I was a teacher in an elementary school. He got posted in the west of America where outlaws tried to enter the country. That night, he kissed me goodbye and hugged me tight as if he wouldn't come back home.

Two months after that, I discovered that I was pregnant. I was so happy that I wanted to scream. And I screamed. It's our baby, my husband and I . Just as I was about to call my husband's base unit, the phone rang. I picked it up and held it to my ears. It's a guy's voice, but I couldn't recognize him. His voice shook as he spoke and I went weak at the knees on hearing the news. Rooted to the ground, a color drained from my face. I felt my world was going to pieces. The news of his missing almost choked me. He was kidnapped by the outlaws. Staring into the air, I remained speechless for a long time. The skies began to open, and blinding sheets of rain fell, the same time my tears started to drop.

He married me at the age of 24, and he went missing at the age of 29. I cried for a long time, but I know that I have to be strong. I wanted the life in my stomach to grow. It's the only evidence that he ever existed in my life. My heart still believed that he's still alive even though people around me felt that he's dead, that my husband is never coming back, that he would never escape from the grasp of the outlaws. I'll wait for him. No, our baby and I will wait for him.

Back to reality, I'm standing here, facing the sea, holding hands with my four-year-old daughter, praying so he'll come back soon. My little girl, Ella took after her father's feature so much.

"Mummy, does daddy have blue eyes like me?" she asked eagerly.

"yes, honey and it's sapphire," I replied, still viewing the scenery.

all of a sudden a hand grabbed my waist and hugged me from the back.

"I'm sorry I'm late. But I'm here, and I miss you," a husky tired voice whispered in my ear.

I turned around as I wept and he kissed me.

"Mummy, is this my daddy? We have the same eye color" my daughter grinned while hugging his leg.

He kneeled down and traced our daughter's face. As if Ella knew that he was her father, she squealed,

"Daddy!"

He cried, "Hey little angel. I'm sorry I wasn't there these years."

I hugged both of them. My husband needs to answer so many questions tonight, but right now, I wanted this moment to last.

"you being here and makes mummy happy is enough, daddy" – Ella.