~Chapter 1~

Soooo this is based off of the book What Is Home! Go check it out! I don't own the characters...or the story...yeah. Well, enjoy! ~A

—-

A graceful smile fell upon her face, but only a second did it last. The infant cried, her tiny hands balled up into fists. Her face was as red as the woman's broken heart, gasping for breath between choking sobs.

"Well now, you know our deal. Hand the child over to me." The sorcerer demanded, revealing himself from the shadows. The young woman sighed, with a lump in her throat, looking worriedly at her child.

She kissed the top of her head, knowing it would be the last- and only- time she'd be able to see the little girl. "Goodbye, Alice." She said, tears rushing down her cheeks. "I love you so much."

The baby, Alice, stopped crying as the sorcerer took her from her mother's grasp. The woman turned away, unable to watch as her child, whose life had been meant for so much better, was given away to misery. Alice's big eyes focused on the man, and Martin grinned creepily.

"You're mine now."

Leaving the small house, the sorcerer and child arrived at his home quickly. A small stone house bordering the forest looked very old, but definitely not abandoned. All plants flourished in the gardens, and everything was very well kept. The path towards the house looked open and friendly, yet was designed to keep unwanted visitors away.

For years, Martin kept Alice and raised her as his own child. She had everything, a nice big home and a...parent. She became a pretty young girl, wearing silk dresses and braiding her growing hair into perfect up-dos. She would adventure in the seemingly endless forests, speaking to creatures unknown to narrow adult eyes.

Alice knew, though, that something was going to change. Martin had tried to be the nice father, a caring guardian that gave her all that she wanted...but the truth always has to come out. Martin wasn't a nice man, and his facade had worn down so much, that the present she received on her twelfth birthday was a forced, permanent isolation from reality.

"I need my house for myself, and you're getting annoying to have to look after." He said without a care, showing young Alice the tower that stood tall in a secluded forest. She looked up at him sadly, with her childish eyes.

"Will I still see you, Martin?" She asked, ever refusing to call him Dad. The man frowned, scowling slightly. Instead of answering her, Martin teleported them inside the tall, stair-less tower.

"This is where you'll stay from now on. You leave, there will be consequences, though I don't believe you'd survive the drop." He rolled his eyes, tugging on her hair. "And you'll obey when I call for you."

Alice's hair had never been cut, growing very quickly. She suspected it to be the magic he was using that made it impossibly long and sturdy. Her locks were a beautiful red, with gold and brown tones in the sunlight. Even with the questionable growth, she was glad to maintain the earthy strands.

Alice nodded her head after a few seconds, looking down towards the worn flooring made of wood. "Okay." The twelve year-old couldn't find the words to fight back, so she resorted into agreement.