Chapter 3

Chapter Three

                Saturday morning when I woke up, I received a text from Lucy. Hey, you wanna go shopping? I need some dresses. I replied and told her that I’d be ready to go at noon. I slipped on a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, jacket, and boots. I headed out to our favorite store, Chrissy’s. They always had what we wanted. I would have driven there, if I had my license. I am seventeen and I don’t have my driver’s license. My mom taught me how to drive, but I never felt like going and taking my test. And anyways, who needs a car when they can walk or take a cab. I live in Manhattan, for heaven’s sake.

                Lucy was standing outside the store waiting for me. “Hey, Logan!”

                “Hey! So, how many dresses do you need?” I asked.

                “About two or three, one casual and one dressy,” she replied. We walked into the store, and were greeted by the clerk who always works there, Maddie.

                “Hey girls, back again?” Maddie asked.

                “Yep, Lucy needs dresses,” I told her. We got right to work, searching the dress racks. I flipped through a couple of casual dresses, none of which stood out to me.

                “So, you know your friend, Harry?” Lucy started.

                “Yea, what about him?” I asked, not bothering to look up.

                “Oh, I don’t know… I was going to ask him out…. Just an idea,” she said nonchalantly, trying to make it sound light.

                “Yea! You totally should!” I told her with enthusiasm. Right then I picked up a dress that looked perfect for Lucy. It was a tan color with pink flowers all over it. There was a brown belt that went just above the waist and ruffled edges. “Here, try this on,” I told her, handing her the dress. She scampered over to the dressing room. She brought in a couple of nicer dresses too. While she was changing, I texted Harry telling him to come over at 2:00. As I got a reply from him saying he would, Lucy walked out of the dressing room carrying two dresses. She paid and we walked back to my house.

                We put the dresses in my room and sauntered out onto my deck to wait for Harry. “So, what are you going to say?” I asked, trying to fill the silence.

                “I don’t know… I’m going to wing it,” she said, but she still seemed nervous, because she was one of the people who think boys should make the first move. We sat in silence for a couple more seconds, and then heard Harry’s door close. We looked up to see him walking across the street towards my house.

                “Hi, girls!” he said, obviously chipper.

                “Hey, Harry,” we said together, happy.

                “Hey, I have a doctor’s appointment, so whatever you needed to tell me or do, better do it fast,” he told us. Lucy stiffened next to me.

                “Yea, um, Harry,” she started, “I was wondering if you wanted to maybe hang out sometime?” she choked.

                “Oh, yea, sure, Lucy. How about tomorrow, at my house. You can bring Dylan if you want to, Logan, if you want to come,” he said, smiling. “Well, I have to go, bye!” He gave Lucy and me a hug and went on his way.

                Once his door was firmly shut, I turned to Lucy. “Oh, my, gosh, you just got a date with Harry!”

                “Score!” she screeched back. I texted Dylan telling him to meet me at Harry’s tomorrow.