Chapter 5

Chapter 5

After school, I go straight home and into my room. I place my bag on my computer chair and lay on my bed. I close my eyes and listen to my surroundings. Everything is silent, not a pin drop falling. Lily and Aiden isn't home yet, not that I expect them to be home. I left school early, a few minutes after Jayce's little surprise. Every one congratulated me on my singing and I politely said thank you. I did not want to say thank you but I didn't want to come off as rude either. I did what almost anyone else would have done: I plastered a smile to my face and quietly made my way out of the school.

I gaze at the clock that is at my bedside and I read that it is three o'clock. I sit up on my bed for a few seconds before getting up and walking towards the kitchen. I pull out a few pots and pans before browsing through the refrigerator. For some reason I feel the need to cook for every one. Maybe they would appreciate some actual food and maybe we can all sit at the table and eat dinner like we used to. Before my fathers death, everything was not perfect but dinner time was a place where we all would just sit down and talk about our day whether it was good or bad. Lily didn't take part in our conversations, it was mostly me, mom, and dad, but still, she listened. Occasionally, Aiden would say a few words but at least he made an effort.

By five o'clock, the dinner is ready. I hear someone walk through the front door and I round the corner to see who it is. I see Aiden walk through the door and I quickly jolt in front of him. I smile at him as he looks at me with a confused expression.

"I cooked dinner," I say. "Are you hungry?"

"Not really," He mutters.

"Are you sure?" I frown. "I was hoping that we could have dinner together, like we used to."

"Is Lily here?" He sighs.

"I'm right behind you little brother," I hear Lily say. I look behind Aiden and see Lily with a solemn expression.

"Do you want to eat?" I softly ask her with a smile and high hopes.

"You cooked?" She asks in surprise, sniffing the air.

"Yea," I shrug with a smile. "I thought we could all eat together."

Lily looks at me and for a second I begin to believe that she is going to say yes.

"Sorry, Mia," She frowns. "I have plans."

"Oh, well that's okay," I say giving her a hurt smile and feeling my heart sink. "Aiden?"

"I can't," He mutters and walks upstairs to his room.

I frown and walk to the kitchen. I serve myself and I sit at the table alone, the pain in my heart rapidly increasing. A few minutes later I notice Aiden leave followed by Lily. I think of mom and leave my seat and walk over to her bedroom. I softly knock on her bedroom door and wait for a response. I hear her groan and mutter a "Come in." I enter her room and I sit on her bedside. She is laying down with her eyes closed and I am happy to see that she is sober today.

"Hey, mom," I whisper and take a deep breath.

"Hey sweetie," She murmurs. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine," I smile warmly at her.

"That's good," She says.

"Are you hungry, mom?" I ask her with a hint of hope in my eyes.

"No, not so much but it smells really good in here." She smiles and I can see her eyes tear up.

"Okay," I frown.

"I'm sorry, Mia." She says.

"It's fine." I say shutting her door.