Chapter 1

NEWTS POV

I hear the whisper of the wind on the walls as I look down into the Maze. Should I really do this? I think as I look deep onto the floor of the Maze. This place is driving me crazy. All the Gladers hoping and praying that the Runners will find find the exit of the Maze. No. Not everyone believes that. I do not have any hope of escaping. Please, we're stuck in the middle of hundreds of large cement walls. That's bad enough, but then there's also the fact that it's also a maze and the walls change. Every night. Every. Single. Night.

All the Gladers acts like everything is fine and that there aren't any man-eating metallic monsters out in the middle of a cement jungle. That's why. I'm sick of trying. I'm sick of pretending. I'm so sick of this stupid Maze. That's it, I'm jumping. It's final.
I take one last long stare at the vines creeping up the gray structures, and then turn around. I walk down the length of the cement and slowly take a turn back. Then something snaps deep inside of me.
I close my eyes and think. What will happen if I live? If I don't die? Will the other Gladers forgive me? Stop it, no. I will not survive. It's almost nighttime. The Runners have probably already come back and no one will realize that one of the oldest Gladers is being slowly devoured by a metal monster.
I slowly open my eyes and take a deep breath.

This is it. You have to, there is no turning back, I think as I take the first running step. I step 2 small leaps and that's all it takes. My mind is spinning and my body is plunging down into tragic darkness. All I can think when I hit the ground with a painful, solid thump, is 3 simple, yet so joyous words.

                           You have succeeded.

My mind goes blank as my eyes plunge into a dark, welcoming abyss. As if Death himself was opening his arms to me in a warm embrace.