chapter 3

Gwen's POV

My head snapped up as I heard my name. Did she just say Ryder and Gwen? No I'm just imagining it.

"Gwen and Ryder" the teacher repeats.

"Me?" I ask again for confirmation that she was talking to me.

"Yes, you are the only Gwen in this class aren't you?" she says exasperated.

I simply nod as walk with my head down to Ryder. I sat in the seat next to him and look up to see a pair of chestnut eyes piercing mine. This didn't startle me though, I simply looked back the same way with my chin on my hand.

"Can I help you?" I ask. I tried to remain as calm and cool as possible. Even though people talk about how intimidating he is, I have seen much worse.

"Do I know you?" He asks turning his eyes to slits.

"Uh... I don't think so, I just transferred a few days ago" I lied not wanting to speak of our encounter in the hall way. "So how are we going to do this English project?"

"Well its suppose to be on something we both find an interest in and how we can somehow make a difference." He read off the slip of paper.

"No shit Sherlock" I say and realize I said it out loud. I quickly slap my hand over my mouth and look at him with big eyes.

He squints at me and pretty much ignores my comment. " Lets get this over with so we can get on with our lives"

"Don't get to excited about this" I mumble, which he once again ignores.

"Give me your number" He demands.

"What ever happened to a girl getting asked out before getting her number?" I ask rolling my eyes.

"FOR THE PROJECT" He spits with venom.

"Of course" I say while scribbling my number on a piece of paper. "Can we go to your house o do the project?"

"This project is going to take more that one day, so lets go to your house one day and mine another." he suggests.

"Uh well you see, my family is very.....dysfunctional...." I said quietly.

"Isn't everyone's?" he asks as the bell rings. "Your house after school today"

**************************************************************************************

When lunch finally came around I was pretty dead. Being at this school was a lot of work. So far I have made three friends, which isn't bad. Alexa who is a short blond that is kinda a nerd, Ellie a girl in my chem class, and Jace who I have known when we were in dippers, aka Ryder's best friend.

"How's it going?" Alexa says in her usual chirpy mood as she takes a seat across from me. Following her was El who took a seat next to her in silence. El was kind of shy and didn't talk much, but when she did she could never stop.

I was about to say something when someone dropped their lunch tray right next to me and sat very close to me. Jace. "Can I help you?" I growl.

"Yeah can you at least say hi tp your best friend?" He says and gives me a hug. I am not a hugger. I don't do hugs. bye.

I push him off of me and whisper "I'm suppose to be under the radar"

"I know, but you cant be a loner" he say as Ryder and two other guys sit around him. "By the way, this is Parker, Levi, and Ryder. Guys this is Gwen."

Parker and Levi stare at me for a good three minutes before speaking.
"This is your best friend? I thought you said she was a loser?" say Levi.
"She really is" Jace replied factually. "And don't you two have a date later?" he asks gesturing to me and Ryder.
I nearly choke on my food as I stare up at him. Ryder with the similar disgusted expression as mine. "You two may have a lot in common actually."