Christmas Troubles

Sybbie awoke to the sound of birds chirping loudly on her windowsill. She turned over onto her back and stretched out her body, feeling refreshed. Sybbie sat up and stuffed her feet into her slippers, pulling on her robe and brushing the hair out of her face. She couldn't put her finger on it, but something about today was special. George came pounding on her bedroom door.

"Sybbie, Sybbie, are you awake?!" He yelled.

She rolled her eyes and opened the door.

"Yes." She giggled.

"Well then let's go! Marigold is downstairs already waiting!" He said excitedly.

"Go for what?" She asked, yawning.

George stared at her, dumbfounded.

"It's Christmas!"

Sybbie's eyes widened as she began to smile widely.

"Christmas!" She squealed giddily like a young child.

They trampled each other down the stairs, the rest of the family following tiredly.

"I swear no matter how old she gets, she'll always act like a 5 year old on Christmas." Tom chuckled, watching his daughter babble excitedly with Marigold.

"Sybil did the same thing every year," Mary smiled, "She was always like this."

"Come on slowpokes!" George yelled.

"Sybbie, you first." Tom said gently. He so desperately wanted her on his side before he left for Boston.

Sybbie's smile faded ever so slightly, but she eagerly picked up the box labelled with her name.

She pulled out a new petticoat, hat, gloves, and shoes.

"Oh papa," She gasped, "It's gorgeous!"

"I want you to wear it on the ship." He said delicately.

Sybbie froze. The smile she was wearing was quickly replaced by a scowl. The colour from her rosy cheeks faded away as her eyes welled up with tears. She didn't know how to react; emotions has hit her like a ton of bricks.

Anger, betrayal, sadness and fury rushed through her body. She dropped the clothing into the box, placed the paper on top and resealed the box. She very calmly handed it back to Tom, which was a bad sign. Sybbie always became oddly calm before she exploded.

"I'm not going." She said quietly, her voice shaking through her gritted teeth.

"But I've bought you a ticket and we're leaving tomorrow morning! Don't you want to see your old pals?"

Her fists clenched. Colour was seeping through her cheeks again, turning them a deep crimson red. The whole family watched, not sure what to do.

"No." She hissed. She had never used this tone before.

"We're leaving tomorrow. End of story." Tom had never used that tone either.

Sybbie stamped her foot on the floor like a 4 year old child throwing a tantrum. Tears poured down her face as she crossed her arms in frustration.

"No! I'm not going on your stupid trip back to Boston! I don't want to leave if we've only just got here! Think about someone other than yourself!"

And with that, Sybbie left the room, leaving the rest of her gifts wrapped and unopened.