Study Up

"Everything we know in this world has a cause and effect, behaviors, environment changes, even things as serious as a an illness. Now before I get ahead of myself can someone tell me what a coma is?" Mr. Mallard's voice echoed throughout the lecture hall as his class of 200 not so eagerly listen.

No one raised their hand. Not surprising considering this class was so hard that no one even tried anymore. Looking around I thought I spot someone who almost cares, but at a closer look at his "notes" I see what looks like a dinosaur riding some serious waves.

After the pop quiz just prior, no one felt like learning more on top of the things they already didn't know. I'm sure they have all set aside that chore for the Sunday before we come back to school.

I on the other hand understand everything for the most part and do not plan on even touching my textbooks during my time off. Never.

"A coma is a prolonged state of deep unconsciousness that is caused by severe injury or illness. Or one might say that it was an effect. " The teacher went on, emphasizing the word "effect" like it would make it actually register in the classes mind. He is clearly not getting the hint that no one wants to learn a day before winter break.

"Comas differ from sleep in that the individual is incapable of sensing or responding to external stimuli or internal needs, hence, they cannot be aroused. During this time the individual is completely dependent on the modern day machines to keep their inner body functioning. The coma itself is a result of the brain swelling to the point of inability to function properly. See? The cause of the coma is the swelling and the cause of the swelling is the sustained injury, illness or even poison. In this way, even a patient who can not talk, can speak volumes. Through the practice of backtracking doctors are able to diagnose and treat a plethora of different diseases..." He is fortunately interrupted by the his own timer. A student got it for him years ago when he kept losing track of time and would run the class over.

Mr. Mallard has to shout in order for everyone to hear as they're packing their things. "Now as homework I was you guys think of a way you can effect the community in a positive way. This could mean anything, volunteering at a soup kitchen, a pet rescue, sharing the christmas spirit by caroling. Print off a form and have a supervisor sign it." Students filed out the door unanimously groaning at the assignment.

I'm left in my row alone in the room with Mr. Mallard taking a seat at his desk. I was still speed typing a last bit of notes on my computer. This, unfortunately had become a very regular thing of over the past months of the semester.

"Do you have any plans for the break Mr. Fisher?" Mr. Mallard asked getting into the large stack of pop quizzes everyone promptly thrust onto his desk in no uniform direction just for payback. My fellow classmates could be smart if they wanted to be.

"Not really me and some friends are going to a some parties, maybe help out around at the house." We just get two more mouthes to feed for the holidays, a brother and sister. I'm pretty sure they're twins, but neither one of them will speak to anyone.

"You know, most people when they leave foster homes leave and never come back. What makes this home so special?"

I shrugged, no one ever has asked me about that before. If anyone ever know me long enough to know I come from a foster home, they usually don't push the subject. "Guess I'm in no hurry to go anywhere. I've also been through enough homes to know a good home when I see one. I guess I feel like I owe them. Why do you ask?"

"Well," the professor took off his glasses setting them on the desk, "my wife and I have been trying for a baby-"

"Whoa Mr. Mallard, too much information." I say mostly joking. I already knew where this was going.

Mr. Mallard just disregarded my comment, "It hasn't been going very well so we thought we might adopt."

You could feel the awkwardness in the room, and that did not happen very much with Mr Mallard as a teacher. "I guess I could show you around a bit, show you a few candidates if you want?"

" I know you're busy with your friends and all, but yeah that sounds good." he sighed, breaking the awkwardness a bit. "I told my wife we would only be looking right now, I don't want you to get any of their hopes up."

I couldn't help but laugh at that, "Mr.Mallard I used to watch the door hoping that someone came through and took me home. Even people like the mailman who visited everyday to drop off mail. Even though the home I ended in wasn't horrible it's just not the same. It kind of like being in school 24/7 only you have to take care of your class mates. Now don't get me wrong I don't want you to go in there and adopt the first person you see, but just know the way they act there doesn't exactly depict how they would act if you adopt them. They're all good kids, but they all have... quirks." I have no clue why I'm rambling on to my teacher like this, maybe that speech class was starting to get to me.

"I can assure you that we will take that into consideration and maybe we could set up an tour of the place, for this weekend? If it wouldn't be too much trouble." He quickly added the last part.

"Yeah thats works for me, Saturday? Two O'clock?" I asked shoving my hands into my pockets and slinging my backpack over my shoulder.

"Uh yeah, I'll e-mail you if something changes."

Rolling my eyes, "You're in the 20th century no one e-mails anymore," scribbling down my number on a piece of scrap paper, I slap it down on the desk in front of him, "Text me." Jokingly throwing in a wink in for good measure. "See ya tomorrow then." I hiked up my back pack once more before heading out.

"Yeah, goodbye." He muttered as I left. Even though he's young, in about his early thirties, I could tell he was trying to figure out his phone as I walked out.

Mr. Mallard was smart, but when it came to technology the man was a complete doof. Granted watching him cuss like a sailor to the overhead was very entertaining, but the whole 'print your own copies so I don't have to deal with the printer' thing? That irked me.