do you remember, my love?

• Dedicated to My big sister emily x

It was raining that night you told me you loved me, do you remember?

We had gone to the cinema to watch some film about a zombie invasion. To tell you the truth, I only agreed to it because it made you so happy. I can't remember the plot- I spent the whole time watching you. I loved to see you mahogany eyes widen with excitement or taut with laughter. I loved to watch you run a hand through your hair without thinking about it.

By the time it had finished, the rain was pouring down as we hurried to a shelter on the other side of the street. I stood with my back against the wall and you facing me; just out of reach of the rain.

You told me how pretty I was and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I was rooted to the spot as you gazed into my eyes for what seemed like an eternity, and told me you loved me, before kissing me; in a way that made my heart skip a beat.

That was the first thing that entered my mind as I heard the drumming of the pavement tonight. I channelled out the sound of sirens, passing cars and people all around me. I can’t remember how I got here, but I didn't care; the rain is too beautiful for anything to bother me right now.

My lips are slightly parted, as if awaiting your kiss. Small shuddered breaths escape them instead. I blink, and blink; each time it’s getting harder to open my eyes again. But I have to stay awake; at least until you get here.

It was raining that night when you told me you loved me, do you remember?

We were sat under the old willow tree, watching the rain flood the riverbed. I can’t remember how we got there, just that you wanted to show me something.
We were out till gone midnight, phones flat in our pockets. You held a jacket out to me before enclosing me in your warmth, telling me how beautiful I was as we made a mad dash though the garden; straight to my front door. I remember you whispering to me you loved me, kissing me softly and disappearing back into the clutches of the rain.

That was the last time you told me you loved me, do you remember?

It was raining then and it’s raining now, as your face comes into focus above me. You're panting as if you ran to get here, mahogany eyes shadowed with pain. Trembling hands slightly pulling on your silky black hair. 
A taunting chill, shivered through my body as I try to reach out an arm, but I cannot move.

I want to ask what's wrong, but something tells me- at the back of my mind, that I already know. 
Cinema tickets, I was waiting. Then… then a flash of a gun… an ear piercing sound, a scream.

My scream.

I try to speak but I choke up blood instead. You rock me back and forth, telling me everything is going to be alright. But it’s too late for that, there's a hole in my chest now- it’s far away from my heart but that's missing too. It shattered into a million pieces the moment I saw you.

I remember all the moments that you told me you loved me, and let the memories consume me as I closed my eyes. I held on till you got here, but it's too late now.

Do you remember, my love? That night, the first night you told me. Tonight my love was the last time, the first and the last together in my last moments.

At least for these precious few minutes I had I was with you, I wouldn't want it any other way. As I take one last breath, I go back in time when we stood in this very spot, where the rain danced around us, and wait by the wall.

I’ll wait for the day when you tell me that you love me once again.