Chapter Eight. The Proposal

Chapter Eight.

Lillian awoke to a light tap on her door. She looked around trying to figure out when she fell asleep, her room was dark, she had slept the day away, another tap & Lillian figured it was Anne & she would soon give up & head back to her room. Lillian didn't feel up to explaining why she would not marry Roderick to Anne she wouldn't understand how everyone she has ever loved has left her. Her brother being the only exception.

The door opened & Lillian lost her words to Anne when Roderick walked in.

'Did I wake you?'

'Yes, but its fine if I would have slept any longer I would have woken with a pounding head.' Lillian started to sit up in her bed. Pulling the sheet up with her.

'I'm sorry.' Roderick said turning around to face the door.' I didn't know you where indisposed, I shall make this quick.'

'I-i sleep with out cloths, see no one ever comes up here, & I can't sleep when its hot & these summer nights are

Having me waking up soaked.' Lillian quickly explained as she threw her night gown over herself. 'There. I am decent, w-why have you come?'

'Lillian. I-i'm sorry. I was selfish, I didn't mean to hurt you, you must know I'd never do anything to hurt you.' Lillian was confused why would he be sorry for hurting her? He must have noticed her distress when she stumbled out of the closet. He didn't mean to lead her on. He regrets their kiss. She swallowed.

'I know my lord. You would never hurt anyone.'

'Yes. Well Lillian,' Roderick said stepping closer. ' I have come to ask for your hand in marriage.'

'No.'

'No? You do not even wish to think about it?'

'No. I know what will come of any marriage.'

'May I ask why not?'

'Please don't.'

'May I ask that you save me a dance tomorrow?'

'I'm sorry my lord I don't think that would be a smart idea.'

'One dance Lillian. Don't you think people will question why old friends have not danced.'

'So be it my lord. One dance.'

Roderick left Lillian to her thoughts.

The next day was busy Lillian wanted to help but her Aunt just wanted her to be ready for the party.

Lillian helped her cousin ready, & then herself, people started arriving & she started to feel butterflies in her stomach.

She decided on wearing her light blue gown she had made the previous week, she wore her hair half up, & let her curls fall.

'Lillian how do I look?' Anne had her gown made weeks ago her color was magenta. Witch made her dark brown hair look almost black. She wore her hair up in pins she too had curls, more spiral curls than Lillian’s.

'Gorgeous.'

'Thank you, you look breath taking Lillian. Lord Berries will pleased.'

Lillian couldn't help but smile at the thought. 'People have already started to arrive. Shall we go down? I'm sure Elliot is here. I heard ma ‘ma talking to Lord Berries, so he must be already down.'

'Alright Anne I shall head down with you.'

Lillian followed Anne down the stairs trying to avoid the train on Anne’s Dress. Reaching the last step looking up to see Anne was already making conversation with the gusts. Anne began to walk away. Lillian didn’t notice she was stepping on Anne’s dress and it was pulled out from under her. Reaching for the banister so she wouldn’t fall, Lillian was crushed already knowing who it was that caught her. Straighten herself before looking up at him.