Chapter Eight

24th June, 1964

It was the busiest day for Elizabeth as she ran around the house, from the decorators to the cooks, down to her own brother.

She knocked at his door and walked straight inside, catching him half naked only in his trunks.

"Eddie, there is just half a day left. I'm sure you wouldn't want people to see you like this." She walked to his wardrobe, pulling out his favourite dinner jacket, and shirts.

"Stop pulling things out. I'll...I'll get to it." He defended himself. He was almost taken aback by his sister's seriousness; he imagined it to be his mother, bustling around in her serious expression.

"Better be fast, you're so slow. And stop dreaming about Selena. You'll have the rest of the night to think about her." She snapped her fingers in front of his face as she walked out, calling to the decorators. He laughed. Typical Eliza.

He looked at the shirts and jackets, thinking. Blue or green. Sister or fiancee.

.

.

.

.

.

There was chaos even in the Archibald household. Selena was almost in tears; her corset was too tight for her to breathe in. They finally loosened it and she gasped for air, tears running down her eyes.

"Please don't do that again." She pleaded in a raspy voice.

"My daughter is finally becoming a woman. She's getting engaged!" Her mother called out as she entered. She looked at her daughter and hugged her. "I'm so happy for you. You're going into a very loving and rich family. Edward Adeliede, who would've thought!" She spun the seamstress around, twirling with the dress.

"Mother, calm down. I'm just getting engaged. Although it still feels like a dream to me." Selena giggled, sitting on the bed, and lost in thought about that day.

"Madam, Mister Adeliede and Master Adeliede are here to see you and Mister Archibald." Their chambermaid said, standing at the door and blushing. Obviously Master Adeliede must have done his charms on the poor girl.

"Yes, we will be down in a minute." Mrs. Archibald got up and fixed her dress. "Mother, can I come with you?"

Her mother looked at her sternly and replied with a 'No'. She sat down on the divan of their sitting room, dejected.

Shortly after, the two parties met. Tea was being drunk, crumpets were being eaten and there was laughter. Always the laughter. Soon after, Selena could hear silvers of conversation.

"So Ms. Archibald, my son here has a made a request. And it was very surprising, but I was pleased with his choice nonetheless." He cleared his throat. Selena leaned in closer to the door.

"What is it, Mr. Adelaide?" Her father asked, sounding concerned.

"We have been friends for the longest time. And I believe it is time that our familes had joined in alliance. My son Edward here....wants to marry your daughter Selena."

She heard her parents gasp, a little surprised. She could blame them, she was too. She suddenly heard her mother reply.

"We would be delighted. Edward is a good man, and I'm sure our Selena will be happy with him."

And that was pretty much it. The engagement preparations had begun, and tonight she would exchange rings with the man who she would spend the rest of her life with. She smiled, blushing at the thought.