But It Was Too Late

A/N: this has mentions of abuse and rape, just warning y'all

Ironically, they broke up on Valentines' Day. But their problems went far further back than February 14th. It had been going on for 11 years. The relationship was toxic from the start. At first, it was a perfect romance. Then she began to rely on him, only seen being happy around him. That was the same for the first year, until he started putting little to no effort into gifts and the like for her.

But she still loved him, and thought he could change. Then, he started being passive-aggressive. But, being the oblivious girl she was, she never noticed. They began arguing over the littlest thing. He began criticising every last detail about her, becoming judgmental and condescending. Everything felt pointless; she would never make him happy. That was all she cared about. At all. He began to blame her for all his problems, like his smoking and drinking addictions. It began to feel tense, so she spent some time at her sister's house. He mistook it for her cheating on him, and something happened. Something happened that would destroy their relationship forever.

It was a warm summer night. They were fighting again. Until he had enough. His anger had compiled over the 3 years they had been together, and it was taken out on her.

He hit her.

He hit her hard enough to knock her out completely. When she awoke, she was shocked. But little did this poor girl know, this was only the beginning of a 10-year hell. She couldn't bring herself to leave him, in fear he would abuse her again. She was forced to have his children. She was forced to marry him. He raped her. He abused her. He did the unthinkable to her, and she told nobody. Not a single living soul. Of course, every night, she would pray to every deity that existed that it would stop.

Until it went too far.

She was killed in her sleep. He was arrested. Their children were traumatized. They had special presents prepared for them, and an amazing day out.

Guess who she was?

Not me.

Not my sister.

Not my friend.

Not my mother.

But my own child. I watched my own child suffer. And I knew he would hunt me down and harm me if I said anything. I feared for my life, my daughter's life, my grandchildren's lives. That man was horrible, cruel and I'm pretty sure everyone is ashamed a man like that ever existed on this Earth. And I'm pretty sure there are others like him. She should have seen the signs at the start.

I never thought I would outlive my child. I miss her so much. So, so much...

I want her to come back, but I know she never will.