Acadia

The beginning, Last stand

i ran. It was all i could do. I pushed forward through the trees. I felt branches and underbrush claw and tear at my clothes. I had to keep moving. I saw the search lights sweep over the the forest. Scanner drones. They were mapping the area and searching for me. I had gotten their attention. I heard the roar of the helicopter fly over me. I saw the dark rusted belly of it pass over me then a few seconds later i saw the search light scan the forest trees on front of me. I turned left to avoid it. I had to keep moving. I heard a rattling sound begin. Then the tree next to me burst into splinters and began to collapse. A machine gun. How had gotten to this?

i kept running. I couldn't let myself stop.

I saw the looming wall of glass through the holes in the canopy. I was getting closer to the barrier.

I heard more shots being fired. Another chopper had began its decent towards me. I wouldn't see her again. Another tree burst. I wouldn't feel his touch anymore. More shots.

I kept running even though every part of my being screamed in pain. I had to keep going.

I was getting closer. I had seen the barrier one other time. On a mandatory field trip in eighth grade. That was when we were taught the fundamental laws of the Order. Our protectors. The ones who saved mankind from utter extinction.

The trees began to thin. I saw the clearing field mix with exposed parts of metal that made up the rim of the barrier. I was a feet hundred feet away. I saw the glass dome overhead now. I'd started this. I had to end it.

I was only a few feet away now.

I had to be the one to light the fuse. I had to given them hope. I was running on the glass walkway now. I saw the maze of habitual domes forming an interconnected network of pieces from earth. The planet had been destroyed decades ago. The core was still burning though. The remainder of the planet had formed an asteroid field around the core. The larger pieces were where the remaining humans buit the world we live in.

I was at the glass now. I jumped and put all the force i could into tackling the glass. I made contact. I felt the cracks spider web out. I heard the shots begin to fire. To late. I broke through. The glass exploded outwards into space. I floated out far from their reach.

I had to give them hope.

They would close this habitat off. Say a malfunction was to blame but i knew a few would know the truth.

I had lit the fuse.

I just hoped that it would be enough to give them freedom.