Chapter 1: Falling

I walked the streets of Helix, the fourteenth habitat built. I didn't really care for titles. Anywhere i went it was the same. People walking, smiling, Laughing. No matter what the world moved forward. I walked to the waterway. I spent more time here than in my actual home. Mary was who knows where. So much for a bff day. Well if she needs me ill be where i always am. I saw the same message from the Order playing on the giant screen in the town square.

"Remember move forward. The dome's the limit." The screen went back to its usual cycle of advertisement. I arrived at the water's edge. I took my shoes off and dipped them in the water. I leaned back and looked at the sky. An artificial replication of what the sky looked like. Sun and all. It was a sight that changed depending on which habitat you were in. Habitat four was in its night phase right now. Who knew why we tried to cling to a past we were no longer a part of. I guess it was just one of those things id never understand. It was almost three. I put my shoes and walked back down the main street and through the shopping district that displayed the same vibrant clothing and odd accessories. I was told that things weren't always this way. That at one time humans dressed more militant because the war that destroyed earth through every able bodied person in battle. I guess humans changed and adapted to the events around them. Still i couldn't stop my mind from thinking about all the things the Order approved to be taught and the things they forbade. Books older than two hundred years were banned though they still surfaced regardless. We couldn't stay out past midnight every Saturday. There was a list of things and everyone was expected to memorize it. I arrived at the center hub of Helix. It was a large meadow that spanned sevral miles. It had a huge crystal fountain in the center. Everyone knew beneath it was the habitat reactor core. What kept us from plummeting into the core. I walked past it and continued to the outskirts of the city near the base of the glass dome. I reached a hill over which i could see the train station. The eclipse train system connected each of the seventy two habitat domes. This particular train took you to habitats two, four, and six. Id only been to four which was named London after the city that has long since been destroyed. I remember boarding the train with my parents for the first time when i was finally old enough to ride. I remember the video they made you watch about the laws you had to abide by when visiting another habitat. I was so scared i squeezed my father's gand tight enough to make him tell me relax. Which was rare considering he never said much to anyone. We made it to habitat four and it was breath taking. The buildings looked better taken care and it all just seemed peaceful. The thing about our way of life was that strict rules had to be followed but they were few and far between. We were free as you can be in a dictatorship. i layed down on the slope of the hill and closed my eyes. I took in the scent of the nature around me. I felt the breeze. The warmth of the artificial sun. Before long i had fallen asleep and began to dream of distant times. Worlds that were still whole. Love i knew id never find. A boy i couldn't reach. But his smile it just felt right.

I awoke to a loud crash and the sound of breaking glass. It filled the habitat as if the intercom system had played the whole thing. The artificial night sky shudder and turned to static before vanishing and giving full view of the stars. The real ones. I looked all around me for the source of the sound. Instead i saw habitat five with smoke flowing out into space. Glass floating softly around like spilled diamonds. I stood up. I couldn't believe it. The emergency alarms went off. The trains would be leaving all the stations from four to cut it off. The military would move in soon. I knew the whole place would be quarantined. I ran to the train station. I didn't expect anyone to be on the train. Chances are it left before anyone could board. I stood on the platform waiting. I was the only there. Then it hit me.

"Shit the emergency shelters" i hissed at myself. Everyone would be in an emergency bunker awaiting the all clear. I heard the train tunnel rattle and creak and i saw the train barreling down the tunnel. It pulled to a stop and a few frantic people ran out. The last person off was a boy around my age. He wore a strange jump suit. All black with to red stripes across the chest and four blue stars arranged in a diamond shape on each shoulder. He had white gray hair. The pst shocking part were his eyes. A bright beautiful sapphire. He walked with a limp and with a confused look on his face. He locked eyes with me. He began to fall forward. I ran up in time to catch him. He was barely conscious.

i made it back to the city carrying him on my back. Id done it several times before when i helped my mother work at a volunteer hospital. I walked back to my home but instead of going in i went down the alley to the left and walked until i reached an iron door. I pulled out my ID card and scanned it over the ID lock. I heard a beap and the heavy door began to open. I walked through into my family's emergency bunker. I father was asleep on a cot. Not surprising considering he spends all day assembling whatever they tell him to. My mother got up from her perch on a folding chair in the corner.

"Thank the order you're alright" she said with a mix of motherly anger and relief.

"Who's this?" she asked when she noticed the guy i had obviously on my back.

"I dont know. i was at the train station when the whole city went on lockdown and he stumbled out of the train half conscious." i explained as i set him on a cot. It was hard to explain why i had brought home a stranger. So we spent the next few hours just waiting for them to give the all clear.

"Mom what happened?" i asked.

"A little before the lockdown something crashed into habitat five, they didn't say what but it was strange that it took so long for them to announce it." my mother had this way of talking like she was contemplating things instead of actualy knowing. Still it was strange. I thought the crash was closer than Habitat five. After another hour or so the all clear was given. I knew this because the iron door slide open automatically. My mother woke my father and they made their way out. I followed after with the guy on my back. I walked to pur living room and set him on the couch. My father looked at me but didn't say anything. As far as he knew it was just another sick person. I looked down at the boy and wondered who he was but i let him rest and went up to my room. Id find out in the morning who he was once he awoke.

<Aboard the Crystelia>

-Main Computer Functions Shutting Down-

-Destination Reached-

-Final Message-

-"Subject 88's survival is of the utmost importance. Dalia you must bring the rest of us home."-

-Transmission Over-

-....-