S1-8- Getaway

The mysterious old man stood audaciously on a thin ledge thousands of feet overhead the ground.
"Beware of the masked men. They shall bring death quicker than foreseen."

Abhay woke up shuddering. He was sweating hard. Panav sat in front of him.

"I...I had a dream...Panav..."

"Go on." His voice was firm.

Abhay looked sideways.

Rohak and Ojas were snoring.

"There was this old man... who...who said 'Beware of masked men-"

"...They shall bring death quicker than foreseen." Panav completed.

Abhay was stunned. "How did you-"

"I had the same dream ."
------------------------------

Rohak was uncomfortable.

His mind was running, but his body was repelling. He turned to Abhay.

"Abhay. We do it today."

Abhay, who was still distressed from the night's vision, knew unmistakably what his brawny friend meant.
In front, Devarishi advanced with his oration. The crowd was chanting his name all throughout.

"Religion has blinded them all." Panav whispered.

"Abhay. We do it today." Rohak repeated.

This time, Panav and Ojas overheard it.

Ojas cleared his throat. "Yes. You are right. I can't bear the darned town protocols any longer."

Panav joined in. "...but how do you propose to do it?"

Rohak bent towards Panav.

"Remember the punishment for disobeying or insulting Devarishi?"

"Naked flogging and then..."

"No, no, the new punishment ..."

Panav pondered for a moment. But as soon as Abhay got the indication, he placed his hand on Rohak's shoulder.

"Rohak." He paused. "No. There is no chance that we are going to pass through Praveg. That cursed land! People say-"

Panav cut him. "No, Abhay! Rohak is right! We will be dropped at the Makara's North coast, and then we can travel east along the banks!"

"..And then we go North by passing the mountains!" Ojas continued.

"Exactly." Beamed Rohak.

Devarishi came to the point where he unsheathed his dagger and showed it to the audience. The crowd gasped and cheered with fervor, like they had been doing for the last six months.

"I...I don't think..." mumbled Abhay skeptically.

"HEY YOU!" yelled Rohak as he stood up.

Sudden silence consumed the entire arena. Everyone stared at Rohak. The King stood up. No one had ever dared to interrupt Devarishi's lecture.

No one. Ever.

Ojas tried to cover his face, then muttered his almost inaudible opinion, "Could've warned at least, you idiot."

Panav gathered the courage and stood up, "YES. YOU. YOU, THE DAMNED UNHOLY SAINT. I, PANAV, AM TALKING TO YOU."
He said, pointing boldly at the saint, who still hadn't overcome the astonishment of Rohak's disruption.

In one part, a mob broke out and then several others followed. Most Kingsmen ran to stop them while one group ran to capture the lawbreakers. Meanwhile, Ashir, the orphanage librarian giggled.