S1-11- Lies

The white beast growled with such intensity that some of the snow on the cave roof collapsed. The man in front opened his eyes and stared at the beast for a moment, valiantly. "Shhh..."

Another creature entered the cave. Massive and brute. White fur crowned his body, like a beautiful snow covered mountain. In his hands was a snow leopard. A dead body, clawed apart from the stomach with his intestines hanging freely.

The man stood up. "Why?"

The beast threw the body and started snarling in an evidently non-repetitive series. The other beast sat down, shuddering the ground for a passing moment, and then started examining the body.

The man nodded his head at each snarl. "Hmm...So you say you killed it because it was violating the laws of nature? Fair enough."

The outside temperature was too cold for any human to survive. Yet the cave housed a warmer environment.

The man went back to his position and right when he was about to sit down, a sudden growl stopped him. As if the beast had just remembered something vital. "Now what?"

The white creature came forward and began his account, his hand movements supportive to his narration. The other one also stood up and listened intently. The recitation went on for a few minutes, before it ended conclusion-less.

The man shook his head. His skin was wrinkled and his body was slim. To a normal human, he would be perceived as a seventy-year old useless junk. But the truth was far more misleading. He had lived for eons and would live for centuries to come.

"Oh....I saw the boys go too. Don't worry. The war is still brewing up. We shall interfere at the right moment, with all your brothers and sisters. Not too early....nor too late."

The beast, seemingly satisfied with the answer, engaged in a profound conversation with the other one, discussing about the strategy to win the upcoming annual snow-ball fight.

While the man sat down and pondered.

'The boys have no idea who they are and where their destiny is going to take them. No idea at all.'

-----------------

The boys showed no reluctance while they were being tied up, because perceptibly it was the only practical thing to do. They had witnessed a striking combat and any intolerance shown to these tribals would evidently mean a premature grave. All this time, Dalvik, the chief commander of the Pravegian forces, gazed hard at them, in particular, Abhay.

Abhay's weariness was eating his energy. He was stumbling and could hardly keep his eyes open, plus Dalvik's perceiving stare made him more uncomfortable. All he wanted was some rest and, answers, to everything. Who were those men and how in the world did they befriend a wild bear? And why the hell was one laughing like a maniac when a sword was twelve inch deep in his stomach? And all this while Dalvik's statement puzzled him further. Oh, it would be a fathomless topic if begun.

While Panav and Ojas were troubled by the same, Rohak had some other concerns. His mind whizzed with only one question- 'were they really theirs to kill?'

Though it was evident that it was a kill-or-die situation, the matter could have been settled in some other way...or was killing the only way out?

Now Rohak was a muscular and huge boy. Not as big as the tribal commanders, but at least larger than any average human. But his thoughts were in sharp contrast to his body structure. It would be best to keep his questions in his mind.

Soon, more tribals emerged from the forest, bringing medical aid and also some supplies. Dalvik passed some berries and grass-roots for the boys to eat. Panav, getting enough energy from the food, was bold enough to voice his thoughts; "Yes, Sir. You were saying something."

Dalvik turned. "Who? Me?"

"Yes, Sir. You."

"Oh boy, don't worry, I'll give you answers to everything. Let's just get back to stronghold first;" he looked around. "Things can get a bit too dangerous here."

While the boys were silently debating about their chances of surviving out of this mess, a black cloth was tied over their faces, without a notice. While the instincts kicked in, Dalvik tried to calm them down. "I'm sorry but we can't let you know the way to the stronghold yet. Don't worry it will just take a few hours."

When the journey began, the boys were expecting the Pravegians to whip them or push them on hard rocks, just like how they had read and expected. It was what they had been taught about Pravegians since childhood in Surya.

Or

It was what they were meant to believe.

The Pravegians were very gentle and caring; though they didn't allow the boys to see, they carefully led them over each stone and were even willing to carry them if they were tired. Pulpy fruits and water bags were passed every now and then.

Rohak was the foremost one to comprehend.

They had been told that the men of Praveg were ruthless and killed every foreigner man they saw. They had been told that Pravegians represented the evil on the land.

But now he could see across these shallow proclamations.

It was all a lie.