Chapter Eight

The King of the Tartars watched in discomfort as the Emperor paced back and forth with a furrowed brow. Elpidio put on a comforting smile, but nervous troughs between his eyebrows remained evident.
  "Please don't worry, Father. I'm sure she's safe-" he started to say.
  "Then why hasn't she come back?" the Emperor hollered in a sudden fit of anger. Gentle drizzles of rain tickled his crown, but it only fueled the growing flames of anxiousness and frustration in his heart. Running his hands through his hair, he stormed to a nearby seat and plopped down before getting up soon after to continue walking once more. Elpidio put his hand on his shoulder.
  "Father, there's no use in worrying so much," he said in a soothing voice.
  "See, the fires in the west side have been quenched and the intruders arrested. It's only a matter of time before they are found."
  The King approached them slowly, hanging his head in guilt.
  "Our deepest apologies for bringing hazard to you and your family."
  The Emperor took several deep breaths.
  "It's not your fault," he replied huffily.
  "I should have known the rebels would chase you all the way to my domain!"

  Meanwhile, Liú, a young slave girl of the King, ran through the palace garden with a lantern in her hand.
  "My Lord!" she called, boldly venturing into the trees.
  "My-"
  She stopped in surprise as the ground before her began to shift. It was a small round trapdoor, hidden beneath layers of twigs and leaves. It creaked open forcefully, and a familiar face emerged.
  "My Lord!" Liú cried, putting down her lantern and reaching out to help him up. The Prince grunted as he lifted himself--and Turandot, who was clinging to his back--out of the opening in the ground. He gently set her down next to him, a slight smirk spread across his face.
  "So much for wanting to climb up on your own," he teased. Too light-headed to think of a good comeback, Turandot responded with a faint "Mmm".
  "You look really pale, Princess," he commented, looking around.
  "My Lord..." Liú said shyly.
  "Let's get you back quickly," the Prince continued.
  "Which way do we have to go?"
  Turandot closed her eyes weakly.
  "My Lord..." Liù tried again, a little louder.
  "Princess, don't fall asleep just yet! You have to tell me where to-"
  "My Lord!" Liú shouted. The Prince turned towards her, stunned. Realizing what she'd just done, Liú hid her face and frantically began to apologize.
  "Who are you?" he asked.
  "M-my name is Liú...I am...I am a s-slave..."

  The Prince stared at her, observing her from head to toe, and seeing no sign of hostility, loosened his grip on his sword.

  "Liú, was it? Can you tell me where my father is? Is he safe? And what about the Emperor?"
  "T-they are safe, my Lord," Liú replied, avoiding his fervid eyes.
  "They are currently at the North Hall, awaiting your -- and the Princess's -- return."
  The Prince breathed a sigh of relief.
  "Lead us there."
  "Y-Yes, my Lord," Liú stammered.

  "Oh!"

  She pulled out a brown bandana and presented it to the Prince.
"M-my Lord...I...I found this in the garden, e-earlier on..."
He took it from her gently and wrapped it around his head, covering his left eye. He smiled lightly.
"Thank you for picking this up for me, Liú."
Liú blushed. When he smiled, his entire face glowed. His smile was dazzling, accentuating his fine features and bright cat-like eyes.

"Liú..."
Liú snapped out of her trance at the sound of his voice as he waved a hand in front of her face. Her face reddened in embarrassment.
"Y-yes, my Lord?"
"Please lead us to the North Hall."
"Oh! Y-yes, my Lord!"
Liú retrieved her lantern. The Prince scooped Turandot up him his arms. The Princess started to protest, saying that she could walk perfectly well on her own, but her voice trailed off as she gave in to his insistence.
"This way, my Lord."
Liú watched as the Prince and Princess made their way towards the palace building. What was she thinking? There couldn't be any any place for her among the upper ranks of society. Not for a slave girl like her.