All the Silent Things

"Confidence is silent, insecurity is loud." 

********************************************************

Born without a voice. Without vocal cords.

The Child of Silence.

I glared through the dying sunlight at the boy standing in front of me, gritting my teeth, tears burning at the edge of my vision. He jeered at me, face contorted into a menacing scowl.

"What, you can't talk?" His eyebrows raised up.

"Say sorry. Just say it." He bent down to study my face. "But you can't talk, can you? What a lame existence. Pathetic, aren't you?"

All I did was bump into him. Not even my fault he wasn't looking. My jaw hurt. I pushed him away when he got too close, gaining little satisfaction from seeing him stumble backwards.

His grin got wider and I hissed, blood boiling.

"Aye, girl's got spunk, ain't ya?" He sneered, lip curling upwards. "Well, guess what? I--"

And he went down, flat on his back.

I looked up to see my brother, eyes burning, hand curled into a fist by his side. Damian.

He stalked up to the boy, pulling him up by his t-shirt.

"What, you little jerk? What were you going to say?"

I shot up from my seat and grabbed his arm, pulling him away. Damian looked at me for a second before pushing the boy away and following me. The boy hit the ground running in the opposite direction.

I glared at him as I signed, my hands hitting each other hard.

I can handle myself.

Damian looked at me, incredulous. He waved a hand in the direction of the boy who'd ran off. "You? You were handling that?"

Yes.

He clenched his jaw. "Stop being an idiot Madeline. I told you not to be here alone. We're going home."

I can take care of myself. I'm ten years old.

"No you can't. You're only ten years old."

I hissed at him before pushing him out of the way as I stalked to the car. So what if I was only ten? I can handle myself. I can take on the bullies.

I heard him sigh as he opened the door to the driver's side.

"Listen, Madeline..."

I glared at him, folding my arms across my chest, turning my face towards the window when I sat down.

"I know you don't--"

I slammed my hands against the front seat, hissing at him again. I can handle myself. Stop thinking you have to watch over me all the time.

"Fine, fine. Whatever. Be like that then."

The locks clicked shut and he started the car. I stared out at the passing trees as we drove out of the park back towards our house. Only ten years old. I'll show you.

When we arrived back home, I slammed the door shut and walked back up to my room, marinating in my anger. I can't take care of myself. Yeah right. I can too. Stupid Damian. I don't need his help.

Mom called me for dinner and I stomped my way downstairs again, hearing the phone start to ring.

"Mind getting that for me, whoever just came down the stairs? I'm in the dining room," she said, her voice muffled through the walls.