Chapter 4 - A New Start

Sorry it's a little late on the update. I didn't think i was going to continue on this story, but I decided I would thanks to my awesome fans. I still don't know

I don't really have anything else to ramble on about. Haha. Thanks for reading. Please vote and comment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk around the corner, but then my feet wouldn’t take me any farther. I sigh. “Rejected!” I hear one of them yell. All of the others laugh. “Dude, seriously just do what the girl said and move on. There are plenty of fish in the sea.” I clench my fists disgusted.

I hear someone smash a crate and they all fall silent. “You all don’t get it! She was special to me…” I hear the pain in his voice. I can’t listen to anymore. I run as fast as I can back to the prison. I didn’t stop until I got there.

I burst through the doors panting. I was starving, thirsty, and exhausted. I see Chief’s eyes widen as he looks at me. He runs over and hugs me. He gets me something to eat and I tell him about what happened, excluding the part about us loving each other.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

It’s been three weeks since I’ve seen him. Every night I dream of him, and every day I think of him. I can’t help it, but I can’t get him out of my mind. His touch, his kiss, everything. I sit in my room tapping my fingers on my desk thinking of what he’s doing right now.

Chief walks in. He smiles at me. “My nephew is going to stay here for the next few days.” I nod. He opens the door to reveal a boy with sandy blonde hair that frames his face. He has bright green eyes and adorable dimples as he smiles at me. “I’ve got to go help with the new prisoner, but you two get to know each other.”

I nod as he leaves. “I’m Jake,” he smiles.

I smile back. “I’m Hope.” We talk for a while and one thing leads to another and before I know it his lips are on mine. I wrap my arms around his neck as I kiss him back. When I kissed him I got those feelings that I did with Jett, but with Jett it was ten times better. But Jett’s gone and I’ll probably never see him again. I have to move on and settle for what I have. He’s cute, and he’s a good kisser. I could stand it. He was my new start.

We pulled back and I smiled at him. “Would you want to go on a date with me?” he asks nervously. I smile and nod.

 *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*

Next week and I’m walking down the streets holding hands with Jake. We walk by one of the food stands. “Oh, I want a pretzel.”

He laughs. “Okay, I’ll get you one. Just wait.” I smile and walk away to a picnic table nearby. I hear some whispering. I was about to turn around to see what was going on when Jake sat down with a pretzel.

I ignore whatever I thought I heard. “Aw, you’re the sweetest!” I smile and kiss him. What I intend for a quick peck turns into more when he wraps his arms around me and pulls me in.

I pull back and I hear more whispering. I turn around. Jett’s stunned eyes meet mine. “Jett,” I whisper his name so softly I can’t hear, but I know he has. He shakes his head and runs away.

I had to go get him. Didn’t I? Wasn’t it right? No. It would be right to stay here with Jake. I want to go to him anyway. I look back at Jake with a worried glance. He looks at me confused. “I’ll be right back. I have to go to the bathroom. Stay right here, please.” He nods and I dart to the alley behind us,

I look left and right. I see brown-blonde hair go across the nearest corner to the right. I run after them. I was faster than most runners at the police station, so you can imagine that I caught up to them. I practically tackled Jett.

I land on top of him his face is inches away from mine. “Who is that, your boyfriend? Three weeks? That’s all it took for you?” he asks.

I shake my head. “You don’t understand Jett. I thought I’d never see you again. I don’t want to be miserable my whole life. I had to move on, but you… Nobody will ever be able to compare to you.” He leans in and we kiss.

I don’t know how long we kiss before I pull back. “I have to get back. It was nice seeing you.”

He sighs. “I let you go once. I won’t this time.”

I give him an empty smile. “He’s Chief’s son. He lives with the Chief and even at the prison every now and them. He’s never even thought about doing an illegal thing. He’s good for me,” I say.

He looks confused. “I’m good for you too, Hope. I’m better for you than any goody-two-shoes!”

I stand up. “You were in prison as a prisoner. You’ve done a million illegal things. You don’t have a family or a home. Chief would murder me if he ever really knew about me and you, but him… He’s good for me,” I repeat. I have to tell myself that for me to believe it.

I hear footsteps behind us. “Hope?” I turn around to see Jake. I run to his side. He looks around at all the guys and then back at me. “Are you okay?” I nod.

The boy that I shot a cigarette out of his mouth steps forward. “Alright I can’t stand this anymore. Can I just beat him up and get him out of the equation?” he asks. Jett smirks evilly.

Jake steps up like he would fight him. “Bring it,” he hisses. He’s big, strong, and muscular but he wouldn’t last a second without experience. I sigh and push him back. He looks at me confused. I reach down and grab my knife out of my boot. I flick open the blade and point it at him.

I smirk. “You know better than anyone how well I can throw this.” He scowls at me. “You aren’t laying a finger on him.” He’s scowl suddenly turns into a smirk and I see him reach for something in his pocket. I know what it is, his gun. “Don’t you dare take that out,” I say in a shaky voice. He pulls it farther out.

I close my eyes as my body begins to tremble. I take a quick peep to see Jet stuff the gun back into his pocket. I’m relieved Jett did that. I stop trembling and nod at him. He just stares at Jake like he wants to break his neck.

He finally looks down at me. “We need to talk. Thirty minutes, here,” he mouths slowly. I barely nod. I grab Jake and we walk away.

He stares at me waiting for me to talk. I sigh. “Jake,” I start not knowing were I’m taking this, “there’s a lot about me you don’t know. Do you even know that I interview the clients, I mean prisoners?” He nods. “Oh. Well one of them used to be one of my clients.” I sigh. I don’t know how to explain this or how much of the truth to tell.

He smiles reassuringly. “Don’t worry about it.” We walk in silence. He has his arm around my shoulder and the other one holding my hand. We get to the Chiefs house. “Goodbye,” he says. We kiss for a long time, and the whole time in the back of my mind I think about how it’s not Jett.

We pull back. “Goodbye. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He smiles at me and goes into Chief’s house. I run back to the spot where I met Jett earlier. He’s there leaning against the wall staring into space. I huff out of breath and look at him. He opens his arms and I can’t help but run into them. He wraps his arms around me. “He’s good for me, but he’s not you,” I whisper. I don’t know why I’m so willing to see Jett and give into him.

We don’t talk. He strokes my hair and I lay my head on his chest and listen to his heartbeat. The moment was so perfect. “Do you still love me?” he asks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah! What! Cliffhanger! Hehe, sorry. What do you guys think he'll say. I'll probably update tomorrow along with Being the Girl.

Thanks for reading! Please comment and vote to keep me going...

Adios!

-believeinu<3