Chapter 4

ETNAL Chapter 4

***2 months later***

"Dad, really?" I ask annoyed.

"I'm just showing the man what y'all possible kids will look like." He says.

"Look, I was an ugly kid." I laugh handing him his drink and turning the page of the scrapbook.

"I thought you looked ok." Shamir chuckles.

"Boy, stop that lying." I say giving his drink as well.

"I mean you weren't too ugly." Shamir says rubbing his head.

"Just stop speaking." I roll my eyes. Whenever he lies he rubs his head.

"Who all these people?" He asks.

"My friends." I say taking a look. "Of course, you know Bri. That's my brother-" I started to say.

"Y'all got a brother?" He asks.

"Yeah, Brandon, he's in the navy." I say.

"That's good." He says.

"I know right. Anyway, that's my best friend Brittany and my other friend Sasha." I say skipping over the last person and moving to the next photo. "That's my dog, Bubba. Daddy let him run out the door one day and he didn't come back." I add.

"Who was that?" He asks pointing at the previous picture.

"Oh, that's nobody." I say clearing my throat.

"Nobody?" Dad asks shocked.

"Shut up." I say giving him a look of anger.

"Watch yo self." He says as he continues to laugh.

"So, was bubba a fun dog?" Shamir asks.

"Hell no." I laugh. "He was horrible." I add.

"He shitted all over the floor every chance he got." Dad says. "That's why I sold his ass to some white people." He adds.

"You sold him?" I whine.

"Sure did. What you thought I just let him go?" He says.

"Yes." I mumble.

"Fuck no. That damn dog was expensive." He laughs.

"So, you told a story?" I ask.

"You damn right." He says.

"I can't believe you did that." I say shaking my head in disappointment.

"You'll get over it." He says.

"It be like that sometimes, babe." Shamir says.

"You sure you want to agree with him?" I say side eyeing him. "I mean you are going home with me." I add.

"You right." He says throwing his hands up in surrender.

"I'm fixing to go help mama in the kitchen cause y'all working my nerves." I say rolling my eyes and walking out the room. "Mama, did you know daddy sold my dog?" I add when I finally make it into the kitchen.

"He sold him to my boss, baby." She says.

"Oh, wow." I pout.

"Girl, hush." She laughs. "It was yo mama's idea." She adds.

"You're so trifling." I say looking up at the ceiling. My mom was killed when I was 8. Keisha, my dad's current wife, and my mom were acquainted. Long story short, my dad was creeping on my mama and got Keisha pregnant. So, instead of beefing and stuff they just dealt with it like real women. They didn't really have a problem with each other. They stayed jumping down my dads throat, though. It was his mistake and they made sure he knew it. She still does. Since my mom died, even before, Keisha's been there for us. Her and my dad worked things out 5 years ago. Now they are happily married. I can still remember the day my mom died perfectly. As if it happened yesterday.