Chapter 13

Marie glared at her, "Do you have anything to say to me? Anything at all?"

"I'm sorry, Marie, please-"

"You're not sorry! You're just a stupid whore that can't be trusted! Get out of my face, don't talk to me again!" Marie stormed away, leaving Ivy all alone to stand in the park. She was sick of all this drama. She was sick of being pushed over, of being pathetic, of being a cry-baby. 

She wanted the old Ivy back. That cold-hearted bitch didn't give a damn, and that was the exact attitude that she needed at this point. She smiled to herself, that's who she'd aspire to be. The old Ivy, the Ivy from California.

Ivy sighed as she thought back to the day before. Being the old her was easier said than done. The old her would do what she wanted, when she wanted; but now Ivy knew she couldn't do that. In California, she didn't care. She cared now, because Ryan came in the picture. 

Christina sat beside Ivy on the bed, "How you feeling, honey?" Ivy shrugged and gave her friend a small smile. That's all she could pull off, a weak little smile.

"I don't know," she sighed. Christina pitied her best friend, it was the only thing she could do. It had just been a rough time for Ivy for a while now, and Christina could tell it was weighing down on her. She had never seen Ivy so depressed, so sad. It was hard to believe. 

"Christina," Ivy started, "I never told you this." She closed her eyes, a few tears escaping. "The reason I even moved to California-" Ivy stopped, why was this so hard for her? "I just- okay... When I was younger, my mom- if you could even call her that- she- she did some unspeakable things." Christina's eyes widened. Again, she couldn't believe it. Ivy's voice had cracked multiple times. 

"What are you saying?" Christina asked slowly, almost afraid of what Ivy would say.

"Some really bad things," Ivy whispered. She let a long sigh, "My mom beat me, alright?" Ivy seemed to force the words out in a rush, she then covered her face with her hands. It was a way of hiding, of keeping her already exposed self shielded in some way.

How could someone with such a sickening and twisted past smile as much as she had? Ivy quickly brushed off her sadness and let out a cruel laugh, "What a bitch, right?" She sniffled a little and wiped her tears away. Ivy was the easily the strongest person that Christina knew, there was absolutely no doubt about it. Before she knew it, Christina was bawling harder than Ivy.

"That is so awful, why haven't you told me before? Oh my god, Ivy," Christina held her face with her hands. Ivy chuckled, how could she even be laughing? Christina guessed that at this point Ivy was pretty much used to it. People like her were resilient. Ivy was battered from a young age, not having many people to turn to, Christina knew that. 

Everything had suddenly started to click. Everything made sense. Christina knew why Ivy kept her doors closed, she knew why Ivy was so hard to get to sometimes. Ivy was never one to connect with people or go out of her way to make friends, and even when she had, Ivy didn't care if they left her or went away. Ivy had been used to disloyal people, it was no surprise when people escaped her life. Christina was probably the only friend from California Ivy truly cared about, not that Christina had any intention of leaving Ivy's side.  

"I guess I didn't tell you because... I don't really know. I didn't know how to say it. No matter what way I explain it, it sounds awful. And I'm definitely not trying to find pity from anyone, that's for sure. I just never had the right timing I guess, but you're my best friend, and it's not fair for you not to know."

Christina hadn't even replied to Ivy, all she could do was tackle her with a hug. Christina held her for what felt like an hour, finally she spoke, "Ivy, no one will ever hurt you like that again. And I just want you to know that you don't have to pretend like it's okay. If you want to cry, you cry. I'll always be here to pick you up and love you just as much as I did before."

Ivy was crying much harder than Christina now.