Chapter 1

The bus is late. Fantastic.
I look around, trying to figure out if it will actually arrive.
I'm Camila. I'm moving to Mystic Falls to live with my cousin, Matt, in hopes to escape my life here in New Orleans. Too many demons, too many memories.

I hear the bus pulling into the bus stop. Thank God. Maybe it wasn't the best idea to leave at 5 o'clock in the morning but I was desperate. Anything to get away from that place.

"£3.50." The bus driver groaned. Lovely. I made my way to the back of the bus and settled down ready for my 3 hour drive. Here we go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"CAMI!" Matt cheered with excitement as I got off the bus. I laughed. Someone's glad to see me.
He took my bag off me, obviously seeing me struggling with the weight of it, and gestured for me to follow him.
This is it. Time for a new start.

"So it's not much..." Matt started, trying to lower my expectations of his house before we got there so I wouldn't be disappointed.

"Matt, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm just so grateful you let me stay." I reassured him.

A huge smile spread across his face.

"Cami, honestly. You staying here, is awesome."

I smiled back and we walked up the pavement to his house. It wasn't big but it wasn't small. I don't know what he was worried about.

"You can have the spare room. You go up the stairs to the right."

I nodded.

"I'm really sorry about what happened in New Orleans." He said quietly, serious for a moment. I walked over and hugged him tight, which he gladly returned. I didn't say anything, just hugged him.

"Anyway, I have to run. My shift starts at 9 at the Mystic Grill so I won't be back until about 5/half 5. You can take the time today exploring if you want and settling in."

"Thank you." I smiled. He picked up his car keys and phone and walked out.

I flopped down onto the cream fabric sofa nearby and sighed. I made it.