20) Elements

Layla:

After the little dream incident this morning, me and Matt were sitting on the tree stump in the estate forest. We were still talking about my dreams, discussing all the possible explanations for them and what they really mean. Going through every angle until we found the best explanation. One thing was for sure though, my dreams were real. Actually real.

In some ways I'm glad they were real, I love the fact that I have a connection with mum still, that she's still here, watching over me. I suddenly don't feel so alone. But in other ways these dreams never had a happy ending. In each of them I end up crying and having a feeling of fear. I could live with it though, especially now that Matt was with me when I woke up. Thank God I told him about these dreams, if I hadn't I would still be in the dark about what they mean. And then where would I be?

"In the third dream she had talked about cheating, that she was cheating by telling you things that 'haven't yet come to pass' as she told it. But what was she cheating with, what do you think?"

Matt's question snapped me back to the present and I saw him watching me, waiting for me to answer. Umm what did he say? I really have to stop day dreaming...

"Sorry Matt, can you repeat what you said?" I gave him an apologetic look. He really was trying. I loved him so much for that. Any other person would have run a mile knowing what was happening to me, but no. Not Matt.

Matt laughed lightly "I said, what do you think about what she was cheating in?"

"Oh. Um well I would say she was cheating... in life and death, like she is switching between the two in a way. Once you're dead, you're gone from the world of the living, you are no longer allowed there, but my mum is coming back to the living, coming back to me and contacting me, therefore having contact with life and cheating death."

"That's a good explanation," Matt nodded "I like that theory, she said that she was cheating by telling you things, such as elements-"

"Elements!" I interrupted him "What are elements, can you teach me it?"

Ever since my mum had mentioned it to me in the dream I had wanted to know what they were. I was actually quite embarrassed with the little knowledge I knew. Then again I grew up without anyone like me...

"Elements aren't things you can teach, it's not a spell."

"Well can you tell me about them, after all my mum had a...fire element? Or whatever."

Matt let out a long breath and readjusted himself so he was sat comfortably. Was this going to be a long speech?

"Right. Okay. Well as your mum rightly said, hardly any witch's or warlock's have an element, only a selected few. There are four elements and about 5 people have each of them. 5 Fire, 5 water, 5 earth and 5 air, that isn't definite but it's the average, in our entire race. Now these elements aren't spells but are of a...I don't know how to say it...higher magic? Yeah, higher magic, beyond what normal witch's and warlock's can do. This magic is not visible on the person, you can't see it, but it's there, in each of those people. An element comes to it's witch or warlock's aid if they are in danger. It is protection and once called upon, acts on its own accord to protect that person. It is thought that all the fire elements are dead. The Deathstag killed them all because the 'child' in the prophecy is meant to have a fire element, like your mother. So all that remains are the water, earth and air users. We don't really know who these people are, but we know they exist, somewhere. If my family is correct, Willow Stag one of the Originals has a water element..." Matt quirked up a corner of his lips. "You following?"