Chapter 1: Release Me From This Nightmare

"So this is what it's like." I said quietly. I never thought that dying would be painless, well, never mind. When I died it really hurt, I mean I got shot after all. I knew I would die as soon as I felt the cold metal pierce right next to my heart. After I closed my eyes and took my breath I opened my eyes to find myself in a small church.

I recognized the scenery outside and found that I was in my home town of Brunesford. At first I thought I was still alive and it was just a nightmare and that I had slept walked, but when I looked around I found my family crying over a coffin.

I had a sinking feeling and knew that my body was in that coffin. When I saw my brother crying I wanted to walk up and hug him tightly and say that I was fine but I knew I would never be able to do that again. I glanced around at the other people and recognized everyone from this small town, except for a strange boy in the back of the church keeping to himself.

I walked over to him and looked him over; he was different than anyone I had ever seen before. He had eyes that were golden with red splashed through them, he was wearing a black sweatshirt and a blood red beanie. While I was looking him over it seemed as if he saw me, I did a small wave towards him  but he was looking right past me. I figured.

I walked through the church slowly looking around before I passed through the door making a candle next to me go out. I stood in the yard of the church deciding if I should go home first or wander through the town.

"Hey." I looked back to the church, it was that boy. He was looking in my direction but I figured someone else was behind me. I looked around but found no one. I looked back to the boy that was slowly walking up to me. "Miss Jewel." He said in a calm strong voice as he bowed to me.

I didn't know how to react since no one had noticed me until now. I had been dead for at least three days now. "You... see me?" I asked, my voice was unusually quieter than I had remembered it.

He nodded once and held out his hand. to me. " I'm  Joseph." I took his hand and glanced up at him, he had a very serious face as if we were making a business deal.

"Hi Joseph. Obviously you know me." I said smiling a little, I had missed talking to people. And I forgot how fun it was to be sarcastic or funny.

He smiled,"Yes about that. I knew you would show up here without thinking so I came here as well. I need to take you back." I must have looked confused because he started to explain. "When I say take you back I mean back to heaven, you see, it's my job to collect and bring back the spirits that are lost. You are lost, aren't you?" He asked looking at me with a blank face.

I didn't know how to respond so I nodded then shook my head and answered quickly. "I don't know."

He frowned and ran his hand through his hair. I could tell he was troubled with my answer. "How do you not know? Most souls I pick up either say yes or no. I only pick a ghost up if they have shown that they are ready to leave earth and join their loved ones in heaven."

I looked at him and shook my head. I don't know why I did, but I did. I had the feeling that I wasn't ready to leave yet. Maybe I was right or maybe I was wrong but I knew I had to stay. "I can't leave yet." I said crossing my arms over my chest.

"And why is that?" He asked his frown deepening. He seemed very doubtful to anything I was about to say.

"I know someone killed me and I need to find who and why they did it. I can't leave until I know." I said, his expression softened as if he understand.

He nodded and put his hand on my shoulder. "I'll tell you what Jewel. I'll help you find your killer if you come back with me after we figure it out."

I looked at him and knew he was telling the truth, he would help me. I nodded and he started to walk off into a patch of trees.

"Where are you going?" I asked as I quickly floated after him.

"I'm going to find your killer, you coming?" He said seriously but with a small smile.. 

I frowned at him. "Of course I'm coming!" I started walking next to him leaving the thoughts of my family crying over my coffin behind.