The Lion and the Scorpion

There once was a lion; strong and proud. He was born deep into summer and so he grew up knowing warmth and compassion. He was taught to protect what was his and go after what he wanted and so he would hunt his prey but still felt a sense of remorse with every kill. Eventually the remorse faded and the hunt became a game for him. He relished in it even taking prey he didn't need, all for the sport. This was his life until one day he met something that changed it. While he was out for a walk over the grasslands, he stumbled across a young scorpion. She was born in the threshold separating autumn and winter and knew what it was like to be cold but yet show a compelling beauty.  Her beauty emitted from her dark exterior and she appeared gentle. The lion, however, saw her and growled. He had dealt with scorpions before and he did not have fond memories of them. He looked at her with his fangs bared but still stood defensively. She looked in his direction and quickly raised her stinger in his direction. She had also had previous encounters with lions and she knew not to trust them. Whereas the lion stood in defense she was ready to attack. She was not about to let this lion get the first strike like the others before. She crept toward him with her stinger extended and he stepped back, fangs still bared. As the scorpion got closer she hesitated. She looked the lion in his eyes and could see the emotion in them. His face showed aggression but his eyes told a different story. she lowered her tail slowly, still not willing to drop her guard and the lion looked at her in confusion.

"Hello," she said softy. Her voice was strong for something so small. The lion paused for a few seconds staring at the creature in front of him. Eventually he gave in.

"Hi," he responded. There was a tension in the air as both creatures inspected each other. "I'm not going to hurt you." The scorpion laughed

"I've heard that before," she stated.

"I'm not like other lions,"  she laughed even harder at that.

"It's like you lions have your own handbook," the lion raised his brow.

"You scorpions aren't much better," he huffed. "I have been stung by so many it's a wonder I'm still alive."

"Well maybe you are too trusting," she told him.

"I was..." the lion responded. The scorpion went quiet after this.

She understood where he was coming from. She realized that their history may have been similar. They were both broken individuals. She crawled over to him and the lion started to become defensive again.

"I'm sorry," she told him. "Maybe together we can get over the shadows in our past."

The lion and the scorpion became friends after this encounter. Both remained cautious of the other for a while but eventually they were comfortable. They shared with each other and laughed and started to build what seemed like a deep bond. The lion felt something swelling in his chest. Something he hadn't felt since his first encounter with a scorpion. It was the warmth and compassion he had lost over the years. She had giving him a feeling he had long forgotten existed. At that moment he realized exactly how important she was to him and how he could not imagine a time when she was not there. He moved closer to her, to share his warmth and possibly get through her hard exterior. As he got too close, however her stinger flew up and stuck him in the leg.

"ARGH!" he roared in pain. The scorpion looked at him in horror.

"I am so sorry!" she exclaimed. "It's kind of instinct when a lion gets too close."

The lion looked at his leg and felt the throbbing pain and felt her venom making its way up his leg. He inhaled and tried to ignore the pain. He couldn't believe he allowed himself to be lured in by yet another scorpion. He had convinced himself this one was different... different like the other times he did so. He felt stupid.

"Are you going to be ok?" she asked in her soft, soothing voice. He looked at her and could not help but be mesmerized by her beauty.

"I've been stung before... many times," he told her. "I'll live."

"Tell me," she said. "About your first encounter." He looked at her. Something about her just compelled him.

Alright," he started. "I was a cub. Barely started hunting. I was always full of life and love. Then I met that scorpion. She was red and spunky. I never stood a chance. she lured me in and then when I was at my most vulnerable, stabbed me in the chest." the scorpion gasped in shock. "I haven't been the same since." She rested her claw on his paw.

"I will never intentionally hurt you," she told him. "I care about you, more than you can ever know, but I can't get too close to you."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want to hurt you," she responded. "At this point in my life that is exactly what will happen." The lion lowered his head. "I don't want to be another sting in your chest."

The lion knew she was right. She was still young and had already encountered the worst of lions. For her and him to become anymore than what they were she would need to trust him completely and he would need to trust she would not sting him. He knew he loved her and she cared deeply about him but perhaps the timing on their meeting was poor. Maybe they needed each other to grow and mature. All that was certain was they didn't want to lose each other no matter what path they took. So the lion went back to his hunts, if for nothing else but to distract himself from the pain of the sting which still lingered. He continued to watch over his scorpion though. Watched her grow and experience life while he silently protected her from anything that may threaten her. He knew his future was with her and he would hold on to that hope until his end.

The End